The Student Room Group

I graduated from Oxford, AMA

Graduated Oxford in 2023. Now pursuing postgrad study. Fire away!

Scroll to see replies

Do you regret not choosing a better university?
What are your goals for your postgraduate studies?
(edited 5 months ago)
Why have you chosen to do a postgraduate degree? (As opposed to simply staying with a bachelors).

What are your favourite things about the University of Oxford?
Which college did you do undergrad at, and have you changed colleges for your postgrad course?

Fave Oxford building?

Any regrets about your Oxford experiences so far?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #2

Yeah, sometimes I do think about what life would have been like at UCL. I have friends who attend there, as well as other London universities, and I think to myself... what would it have been like? I grew up in London so I'm curious to know what student life in London is like
Reply 6
Original post by mnot
What are your goals for your postgraduate studies?

To make it out alive at this point 😭
Reply 7
Original post by Talkative Toad
Why have you chosen to do a postgraduate degree? (As opposed to simply staying with a bachelors).

What are your favourite things about the University of Oxford?

It was an idea I got from a friend who was also doing a postgrad while I was on an internship during the summer.

I would say that I really enjoyed how 'free' Oxford felt? (Weird thing to say about it I know). But I'm someone who's always enjoyed learning and academia, and I think that Oxford was the first place ever that I felt that I could be a nerd without feeling weird or guilty about it, I guess
Reply 8
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Which college did you do undergrad at, and have you changed colleges for your postgrad course?

Fave Oxford building?

Any regrets about your Oxford experiences so far?

I'm not at Oxford for my postgrad course.

I won't explicitly say what college I was at for confidentiality reasons, but if you want a rough idea it was one of the older, more central colleges. As well as this, I won't say exactly what I studied, but I can tell you it was indeed a humanities subject.

My favorite building without a doubt was the Rad Cam. Walking past it every single morning felt unreal, especially when the sun was out. Westgate (the shopping centre) was pretty cool too, especially the roof terrace.

In terms of regrets, I don't have too many, but I feel like I do regret not taking careers/application season stuff more seriously in first year.
You've come off anon, just so you know :ninja:

Oh my bad, I misread the initial post :colondollar: How do you enjoy where you are now, compared to Oxford? :smile:

Fair enough that you don't want to say which college or subject :yes: My fave building when I was there was also the Rad Cam :five: Glad you don't have many regrets!
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
You've come off anon, just so you know :ninja:

Oh my bad, I misread the initial post :colondollar: How do you enjoy where you are now, compared to Oxford? :smile:

Fair enough that you don't want to say which college or subject :yes: My fave building when I was there was also the Rad Cam :five: Glad you don't have many regrets!

Eh, it is what it is 😅

I don't really enjoy it. I'm at a university in London and I really do prefer Oxford. It just doesn't feel as special unfortunately. And it's also a lot less social.

If you don't mind me saying this, I think I recognise your user from another post? You were at Oxford too right?
Original post by DryLegsBoss
To make it out alive at this point 😭

What is your pg course?
Reply 12
My fave building was the Wheatsheaf :lol:
It was an idea I got from a friend who was also doing a postgrad while I was on an internship during the summer.

I would say that I really enjoyed how 'free' Oxford felt? (Weird thing to say about it I know). But I'm someone who's always enjoyed learning and academia, and I think that Oxford was the first place ever that I felt that I could be a nerd without feeling weird or guilty about it, I guess

Nice information
Original post by mnot

What is your pg course?

LLM in International and Comparative Law
LLM in International and Comparative Law

Do you have an llb?

Are you planning on looking at judicial research as a career or a more conventional path?
Original post by mnot

Do you have an llb?

Are you planning on looking at judicial research as a career or a more conventional path?

I don't! I studied a humanities subject.

Definitely want to take a gap year and try something in a different field before going down the solicitor route #sellout
I don't! I studied a humanities subject.

Definitely want to take a gap year and try something in a different field before going down the solicitor route #sellout

Im not a fan of the term selling out, for the long hour jobs, as long as you are happy with the consequences and what it means for your life. Ultimately life is full of compromise.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous

Lmaoooo I-
Eh, it is what it is 😅

I don't really enjoy it. I'm at a university in London and I really do prefer Oxford. It just doesn't feel as special unfortunately. And it's also a lot less social.

If you don't mind me saying this, I think I recognise your user from another post? You were at Oxford too right?

Sorry for the late reply! Yes, I was at Woosta from 2007-2010, reading music :musicus: Many moons ago now :shakecane:

I get what you mean about London. I'm a native Londoner and love it but the uni experience does feel a bit more impersonal, both at postgrad and in London generally I think...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending