The Student Room Group

Official Thread: (Undergraduate) Medicine 2021 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by grh3579
Helloooo everyone,

I wanted some advice; I got 9 9's and 1 8 at GCSE and am predicted three A* in my A levels and an A for EPQ. My personal statement is going okay, I volunteered in a care home until lockdown and have done work experience in a Gp practise and in an A&E ward. I think I will probably do average for UCAT but Im not sure about BMAT yet as I havent started practise properly.
What kind of unis do I have a good shot at?
Also, do I have any chance of geting into oxbridge as I love how the medicine course is structured there as well as the cities themselves but I dont know if Im good enough ....eg as Ive only done 10 GCSE's (below the average for usual oxbridge med applicants).

Any help is appreciated :smile:

You should look at Exeter as their main thing they look at is there predicted grade and you will be in tier 1 or 2. I believe the main thing is to optimise your chances for interviews
Original post by grh3579
Hiyaa, thanks for replying!! I'm doing Bio, Chem, Maths... which was actually another one of my concerns as Im only doing 3 subjects whilst most applicants probably do 4...

3 should be fine. My son did exactly the same subjects as you and had 4 interviews 3 offers.
Original post by keeno25
Due to COVID 19, will unis still be looking at predicted grades? Because they all know how unreliable they are, and for unis such as Imperial and UCL, are they a huge factor in getting in? For example is someone with an AAA prediction worse off than someone with A*AA? Also medicine does have the extra option of the the admission tests and interviews to look at which many other courses don't have as an option.

Well, Imperial and UCL's minimum A level standard is A*AA, so you would be worse off applying to them with AAA, as you'd get rejected without WP criteria. As @Laycity wisely said, you have to meet the requirements. However, most med schools do not score your predicted grades (excepting Exeter, QMUL, Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen), so if you have AAA for, say, Nottingham, you won't be disadvantaged at all compared to someone with A*AA or even eleventy billion A*s.
Original post by sophie1213
Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 22.29.38.png

I came across this SJT question and I don't really understand why I got it wrong because I've read in so many places that you shouldn't assume the action is the only action taken. in this case, I presumed that she would have prescribed her the anti-anxiety medication as well as given her advice and referred her to counselling. Can someone help explain why is it 'appropriate but not ideal' rather than 'a very appropriate thing to do', because it is very appropriate to provide the medication..

Has this question come from the UCAT Questionbanks/Practice tests?
Thanks a lot for your replies everyone!!! It was really helpful and I'll defo go to the open days for Oxbridge and Exeter and then make my choices after UCAT :smile:
Hey, have a look on the UCAT https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=6282054 and BMAT https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=6282050 threads, where this kind of stuff gets answered a lot!
Does anyone know which unis first rank applications based on predicted grades? I know Exeter does and sometimes they dont even look at UCAT scores when inviting for interview.
Original post by bruce.wayne1
Does anyone know which unis first rank applications based on predicted grades? I know Exeter does and sometimes they dont even look at UCAT scores when inviting for interview.

Exeter is the only one than ranks applications solely based on predicted grades. QMUL uses 50% UCAS tariff and 50% UCAT, and Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee use a combination of UCAT, GCSEs and predicteds, I believe, but as Scottish unis they’re very competitive for RUK applicants.
So I’ve been predicted A*AA but my school (thankfully) has given people who are OMDVs, the chance to write an exam in 1 subject to increase their predicted grades. I’m doing biology to get an A*A*A to apply to Cambridge but I’ve seen that out of 270 offers only 100 odd go to people with 2A*s (and insane BMAT scores). All the others have either 3 or 4 A*s. Ik this means that my BMAT score would need to be unreal (im prepared for it as I began last summer but only done 600 Qs so far), so what BMAT score would I need to make my application more appealing than the people with 3/4 A*s?

Any advice would be welcome Thanks
Original post by GANFYD
There are some med schools that will consider your application with AAB predicted, though not many, and your offer is still likely to be AAA.

They are Liverpool, Lancaster, Cardiff, Kent and Canterbury (do not look at predicted grades at all), Birmingham, Aston, Sheffield if you offer an EPQ at A with it, HYMS if you have an EPQ and make them your firm (this would be your offer too, but the EPQ must be at least an A), possibly Sunderland (they say "It is likely that a number of applicants achieving AAB in the subjects listed will also be admitted" but don't specifically say they will accept AAB predictions, so call and check), Keele, who use the same admission criteria as Sunderland, though their offer will likely be AAA; and I think, Leeds (they certainly award a score for lower than AAA predictions in their selection scoring, but the marks given mean you would be unlikely to make the interview cut off if these were your predictions).
Oxford also apparently say they do not look at predicted grades.

You would also need to check carefully whether you met any WA criteria (they are different for each med school, so will require a plough through websites) as this lowers accepted predictions and offers made.

Given your GCSEs, I would talk to your teachers and see if they would increase your predictions, as achievements to date certainly suggest AAA is within your reach

Thank you so much for your in depth response!!!
Original post by FAatsssss
Thank you so much for your in depth response!!!

I did email liverpool and they said AAB is required :smile:
Anyone reapplying for medicine 2021? My school messed up and wasn't able to apply for 2020 entry. My UCAT was 622 average, predicted grades are AAB, have 4 summers working in hospitals/clinics and loads of extracurriculars under my belt. Already firmed plymouth for biomed but thinking about reapplying to plymouth, sheffield, keele and somewhere else for Medicine
I am in the same position and considering applying for cardiothoracic surgery.
How can I improve your CV and publish / present? Is there any particular job post I will have to apply for? or is it by doing elective? The research has to be related to cardiothoracic surgery. How can I possibly do that? Please help!
is imperial interview MMI or traditional?! the medic portal says two different things...
is imperial interview MMI or traditional?! the medic portal says two different things...

this year it was mmi: https://wwwf.imperial.ac.uk/blog/student-blogs/2020/01/29/medicine-interview-a-guide-to-mmis-at-imperial/

MMI. It says so on their website: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/school-of-medicine/medicine/ :smile:

thanks so much! also does anyone know whether they ask questions about the essay you wrote in section 3 as I know UCL does..
thanks so much! also does anyone know whether they ask questions about the essay you wrote in section 3 as I know UCL does..

UCL doesn’t as of last years entry, and neither does Imperial. I would really recommend looking at uni websites as well going off careers advisors or second-party sources like TMP since they often don’t update every admissions cycle!
Could you apply for dentistry as your 5th choice?
I wish BMAT didn't have an essay sectionnnn!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending