The Student Room Group

Ridiculous university choices

I was wondering if anyone has or knows anaybody that has made a ridiculous university choice. For example, one of friends choose Uni. of Portsmouth over Uni of East Anglia because it had a more vibrant nightlife. :eek:

Another friend was going to choose Kingston Uni over Uni of Bristol :eek: because he's a very good footballer and said there are more opportunities to join football clubs in London than Bristol. I begged and pleaded with him and in the end he saw sense and choose Uni of Bristol over Kingston Uni. He was offered an unconditional place at Uni of Bristol which he starts this October and constantly thanks me for talking sense into him. :biggrin:

So what are your ridiculous uni chocies stories?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Its not really ridiculous if its their personal preference.
Reply 2
A mate chose Northumbria over Durham because the shopping was better.
I chose Copenhagen because it was 'different' over barcelona which is 5 time closer
Reply 3
What may seem ridiculous to you may make sense to them.

Let people make their own "mistakes". Don't be so arrogant as to suggest they are wrong.
Reply 4
Jackathon
Its not really ridiculous if its their personal preference.

But come on mate, would you choose Kingston if you were offered a place at Bristol?
Reply 5
I think you are incredibly naive if you think people should be chosing a University based on academic merit.

Remember, you're going to be spending 3 or 4 years in this place, it doesn't matter how good the university is; if the attached social life is ****, then you aren't going to enjoy yourself.

I also think you have forced your friend into going to a university which they might not have wanted to go to. If you consider these people friends, then you ought to have supported their original choice and not pushed them into changing their minds.
Reply 6
Kingston Uni over Uni of Bristol

That would have been a little silly; the first less so. But like other people are saying it's more about finding a university that suits you.
Reply 7
It's not 'ridiculous', its just what suits them and where they want to go. Just because they are 'better' universities academically, doesn't mean you have to attend them if there is something more suited to you elsewhere. University really isnt all about the education, you know.
Reply 8
Someone at my school chose Strathclyde over UCL this year. Both had offers of ABB.
Reply 9
titanlux
A mate chose Northumbria over Durham because the shopping was better.
I chose Copenhagen because it was 'different' over barcelona which is 5 time closer

Although, having said that, that's quite ridiculous. I have great respect for Northumbria but if shopping was that much an issue then there's 20 miles between the two. Fifteen minutes on the train and you'll be in Newcastle.

Are you sure that was their only reason for choosing it? What subject?
Reply 10
My friend chose Cardiff over Warwick for English but it was in no way a "ridiculous" choice; she had the time of her life, came out with a first and is to start a masters at Warwick in October.
d0mz
It's not 'ridiculous', its just what suits them and where they want to go. Just because they are 'better' universities academically, doesn't mean you have to attend them if there is something more suited to you elsewhere. University really isnt all about the education, you know.

exactly
Reply 12
I there any difference between East Anglia and portsmouth?

But i think your Kingston example is really outrageous.. what an idiot!
haha i initially thought about choosing durham coz i like the colour of the website and have one choice left (even though applying next year)
however then i had a look and saw they do a trip to south africa... so that is a plus
then i had a look at the course, area and accomodation and realised i acctually really like it

but its too far up north for my parents to live, and i want to be near them
The Lad
I was wondering if anyone has or knows anaybody that has made a ridiculous university choice. For example, one of friends choose Uni. of Portsmouth over Uni of East Anglia because it had a more vibrant nightlife. :eek:

Another friend was going to choose Kingston Uni over Uni of Bristol :eek: because he's a very good footballer and said there are more opportunities to join football clubs in London than Bristol. I begged and pleaded with him and in the end he saw sense and choose Uni of Bristol over Kingston Uni. He was offered an unconditional place at Uni of Bristol which he starts this October and constantly thanks me for talking sense into him. :biggrin:

So what are your ridiculous uni chocies stories?

that would have been a completely ridiculous choice.if you managed to pursuade him and hes still thanking yu now then kingson obviously wasnt right for him.

I dont know why anyone would want to go to kingston uni though
actually that reminds me. Someone at my school declined an offer of medicine at hull/york to do biomedical sciences (at leeds i think) because she didnt want to end up at Hull.
Reply 16
WOLLSMOTH

But i think your Kingston example is really outrageous.. what an idiot!

Don't be too harsh on him. Like I said he saw sense in the end and has now been offered a place at Bristol. His mum was FUMING when he first told her he was going to choose Kingston over Bristol. :biggrin:
Reply 17
Jelkin
My friend chose Cardiff over Warwick for English but it was in no way a "ridiculous" choice; she had the time of her life, came out with a first and is to start a masters at Warwick in October.

Cardiff's great.

snorty_swirl

but its too far up north for my parents to live, and i want to be near them

Do they come out in hives if they go further north than Sheffield? :wink:
Reply 18
Well this is probably a 'ridiculous choice' to you but made perfect sense to me:

I had a choice of Abertay, Dundee; MMU, Manchester or DMU, Leicester ... I chose DMU because I liked all three uni's equally so it was the 'extras' that made all the difference:

a) It was the furthest away from home and I really wanted to branch out.

b) It was the one I knew none of my friends were going to as I knew that if my friends were at the same Uni I was less likely to g out and make loads of new friends

c) it is closer to London and I love to go shopping there and visit friends there

d) I am a big fan of the Leicester Tigers and it meant I had more chance to see them play
Reply 19
Meh some of my friends think I'm weird for chosing UEA over Nottingham/Sheffield/Leeds but...*shrugs* personal preference is personal preference..

The second one is a bit more odd yeah..

Latest

Trending

Trending