The Student Room Group

English lit and language help

I honestly don't know where to begin or study for both subjects, if I revise I can member things easily but coming up with ideas and anything to do with English isn't my best.I don't want to drop out and would like to try ,does anyone have advice and how to do well or their experience
Reply 1
For english lit CGP revision guides are a life saver, you can get them second hand on buy and sell facebook groups, ebay or new from whsmiths. Making flashcards for quotes so you can remember them for analysis within the exam. Make simple mindmaps linking themes and characters so you know where to take your analysis in the exam to get extra marks and more critical sophisticated analysis. Youtubers like Mr Bruff and Mrr Salles (my personal favourite as he covers high-level ideas) can help for note-taking or casual revision.
For english language its more difficult to revise but still possible. Practise papers are key (I'm in year 11 and including mocks I've done about 6 practice papers in the past few months) to improving. Remembering structure PEARL/PEE/PEAZL is important as well as making yourself a checklist to memorise (e.g for english lang p1 section b creative writing I remember: 5 different types of punctation, 5 different sentence structures MINIMUM 5 different language techniques). For paper 2 remember pirate mouse and for both remember layers of meaning, train yourself to think outside the box.
Hope this helps!
Original post by lntrns
For english lit CGP revision guides are a life saver, you can get them second hand on buy and sell facebook groups, ebay or new from whsmiths. Making flashcards for quotes so you can remember them for analysis within the exam. Make simple mindmaps linking themes and characters so you know where to take your analysis in the exam to get extra marks and more critical sophisticated analysis. Youtubers like Mr Bruff and Mrr Salles (my personal favourite as he covers high-level ideas) can help for note-taking or casual revision.
For english language its more difficult to revise but still possible. Practise papers are key (I'm in year 11 and including mocks I've done about 6 practice papers in the past few months) to improving. Remembering structure PEARL/PEE/PEAZL is important as well as making yourself a checklist to memorise (e.g for english lang p1 section b creative writing I remember: 5 different types of punctation, 5 different sentence structures MINIMUM 5 different language techniques). For paper 2 remember pirate mouse and for both remember layers of meaning, train yourself to think outside the box.
Hope this helps!

Thank you so much you honestly don't know how much this helped me x
Reply 3
You said “drop out”, what stage of education are you in? I just did a degree in both subjects so I may be able to help :h:
I'm in gcse and I ment drop the subject x
If you are aiming for grade 7-9 then all I can say is: CRITICAL ESSAYS. They are amazing to boost your grade as they are super insightful and help to stimulate your own thoughts - there’s only so much you can do by memorising the basic intel from CGP books. I recommend Cliff Notes and the British Library website for critical essays.
Reply 6
Original post by Loujayne1111
Thank you so much you honestly don't know how much this helped me x

If you need any more help PM me!

Quick Reply

Latest