The Student Room Group

A level Spanish, History and what?

I'm planning on taking both history and Spanish at a-levels and will likely study either Spanish or both subjects at university but I can't decide what I should choose as my 3rd A level. English lit was my first idea but I worry that my lack of reading will make me struggle a lot, despite really enjoying it, I also love Geography but I worry that it doesn't match with the others. My parents are trying to get me to take maths but I don't really enjoy it, although it is definelty my best subject.

I haven't really looked into any other subjects but I really need some advice. Thanks!
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by unclear-eyelid
English lit was my first idea but I worry that my lack of reading will make me struggle a lot

Then why are you doing History.
Both the A level and a degree will involve 'reading'.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Then why are you doing History.
Both the A level and a degree will involve 'reading'.

I understand that, however History has always been one of my favourite and best subjects, and I do like reading and learning about new topics, I just don't do it often, and I feel that I can cope with the reading I would have to do in history. The reason why I'm hesitant on English lit is that I would assume that much of the course is based solely on reading and analysing books, which is not what I am strongest at.
Reply 3
Have you talked to the relevant teachers about English Lit?
Do you know what the course involves and which novels etc are the set texts?
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Have you talked to the relevant teachers about English Lit?
Do you know what the course involves and which novels etc are the set texts?

I haven't talked to my teachers yet (I moved classes not too long ago and everything is up in the air really), I do know the texts and have looked into a couple, which I think i would enjoy but I haven't looked into all of them,
Reply 5
I do both Geography and English lit a level. Not sure what exam board you are doing but I haven't struggled with the amount of reading needed for English lit. I have five set texts and another text I had to read for coursework, but it was spread out over the course so I wasn't struggling to keep up with the reading. If you enjoy it I would reccomend doing it as It's easier to get a higher grade in something you enjoy. If I'm being honest, Geography is my least favourite A-level I find it quite difficult and not very interesting but I know people who love it so thats just my personal opinion. Do you know what type of career you would like to do in the future?
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 6
i dont really have advice but ill tell you the subject combinations of people in my Spanish and history classes if it helps seeing what other people do?

spanish:

1) maths fm chem history spanish
2) maths fm chem re spanish
5) maths fm physics spanish
4) bio chem spanish geography
5) spanish eng lit politics + epq
6) spanish history re + epq
7) spanish history art + epq
8) spanish economics pe + epq

history:

2) spanish history art + epq
3) spanish history re + epq
4) bio psych history lit
5) bio chem history + AS maths
6) maths physics history + epq
7) geography history politics + epq
8) bio chem history + AS economics
9) history eng lit psychology + AS re
10) history psychology re + AS english language
11) geography history psychology + epq
12) bio chem history + epq

as you can see there's a massive range of subjects in both classes - you don't really need to worry about stuff 'matching' (although you should probs be aware that if you want to take geo further then maths might be helpful to consider if you have a look at some degree course entry requirements)

everyone i know who takes english lit spends a lot of time on it but they all really enjoy it and i think they really like being in a class with people who want to do lit and they can bounce off in terms of ideas and discussion which you don't really get at gcse with people who don't want to be taking lit in the classroom with you (same with spanish tbh)

don't let ur parents pick for you
Reply 7
Original post by purple256
I do both Geography and English lit a level. Not sure what exam board you are doing but I haven't struggled with the amount of reading needed for English lit. I have five set texts and another text I had to read for coursework, but it was spread out over the course so I wasn't struggling to keep up with the reading. If you enjoy it I would reccomend doing it as It's easier to get a higher grade in something you enjoy. If I'm being honest, Geography is my least favourite A-level I find it quite difficult and not very interesting but I know people who love it so thats just my personal opinion. Do you know what type of career you would like to do in the future?

I would be doing OCR, I'm not entirely sure on geography as I love the physical topics but not so much the human ones, I've always wanted to teach at a Primary school which I would guess that means I can really do anything, which I think makes it harder to choose really
Reply 8
Original post by jamsparkle
i dont really have advice but ill tell you the subject combinations of people in my Spanish and history classes if it helps seeing what other people do?

spanish:

2) maths fm chem re spanish
5) maths fm physics spanish
4) bio chem spanish geography
5) spanish eng lit politics + epq
6) spanish history re + epq
7) spanish history art + epq
8) spanish economics pe + epq

history:

2) spanish history art + epq
3) spanish history re + epq
4) bio psych history lit
5) bio chem history + AS maths
6) maths physics history + epq
7) geography history politics + epq
8) bio chem history + AS economics
9) history eng lit psychology + AS re
10) history psychology re + AS english language
11) geography history psychology + epq
12) bio chem history + epq

as you can see there's a massive range of subjects in both classes - you don't really need to worry about stuff 'matching' (although you should probs be aware that if you want to take geo further then maths might be helpful to consider if you have a look at some degree course entry requirements)

everyone i know who takes english lit spends a lot of time on it but they all really enjoy it and i think they really like being in a class with people who want to do lit and they can bounce off in terms of ideas and discussion which you don't really get at gcse with people who don't want to be taking lit in the classroom with you (same with spanish tbh)

don't let ur parents pick for you

Thank you so much, that helps a lot! As much as I would love to take geography after, I don't think I could deal with both geo and maths. Yes in my current classes, especially Spanish, nobody has any sort of interest in the subject and I know I would enjoy having discussions about the lessons.
I would be doing OCR, I'm not entirely sure on geography as I love the physical topics but not so much the human ones, I've always wanted to teach at a Primary school which I would guess that means I can really do anything, which I think makes it harder to choose really

If you are really good at Maths take it. As a subject it opens up the most options. If you dont want to take Maths then take the subject that interests you the most and you will get the best result in. Dependent on subjects available you could take another language or anything else.
Original post by swanseajack1
If you are really good at Maths take it. As a subject it opens up the most options. If you dont want to take Maths then take the subject that interests you the most and you will get the best result in. Dependent on subjects available you could take another language or anything else.

I am considering maths, and is the subject that I put down originally, Spanish has always been by far my favourite subject and I like history a lot too, so I don't think i would mind if the 3rd subject is one that I don't like as much. I would absolutely love to take another language, and the 6th form I'm going to offers both German and French as well as Spanish, but I know it would be a terrible idea to take a language at a level with no prior experience whatsoever. There are some other subjects I'm interested in (Mainly politics and re) but I'm unsure on them and especially with politics, I don't know if I'll even enjoy the subject
(edited 12 months ago)
I am considering maths, and is the subject that I put down originally, Spanish has always been by far my favourite subject and I like history a lot too, so I don't think i would mind if the 3rd subject is one that I don't like as much. I would absolutely love to take another language, and the 6th form I'm going to offers both German and French as well as Spanish, but I know it would be a terrible idea to take a language at a level with no prior experience whatsoever. There are some other subjects I'm interested in (Mainly politics and re) but I'm unsure on them and especially with politics, I don't know if I'll even enjoy the subject

Politics would be fine. A new subject. Have a look into it. It fits well. A lso speak to your teachers about the possibility of French or German and whether previous experience of the language is needed.
Reply 12
I'm planning on taking both history and Spanish at a-levels and will likely study either Spanish or both subjects at university but I can't decide what I should choose as my 3rd A level. English lit was my first idea but I worry that my lack of reading will make me struggle a lot, despite really enjoying it, I also love Geography but I worry that it doesn't match with the others. My parents are trying to get me to take maths but I don't really enjoy it, although it is definelty my best subject.

I haven't really looked into any other subjects but I really need some advice. Thanks!

Heya!
I would recommend using uniguide alvl explorer :h: What are you thinking of doing in the future? Have you looked at the entry requirements? Look at the entry requirements and if nothing extra is needed then pick the subject you will enjoy and do good at!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest