The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

What are the easiest Humanities electives to take at UofG?

I am planning to study Comparative literature at the undergraduate level at UofG 2024/25 and have known that I will need to take two electives. What are the humanities electives which are the most manageable/easiest to take alongside my course? Film and TV studies seem interesting, but I heard it is quite a big workload.
What university is this? Glasgow, Gloucestershire, Greenwich etc?
(edited 2 months ago)
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Talkative Toad
What university is this? Glasgow, Gloucestershire, Greenwich etc?
Glasgow
I’m a 4th year English Lit student at Glasgow and I did Politics and French in 1st year and English Language and French in 2nd year. English Language was 100% the easiest, essays never too demanding and exams easy enough. For English Lit it was compulsory to do at least one year of English Language, not sure if Comparative Lit is the same. If you take a language you have to attend oral, written, and culture classes, but I didn’t find it too demanding. Probably wouldn’t recommend a heavy essay based course alongside Comparative Lit as I struggled with balancing English Lit and Politics.
Reply 4
Original post by piscesrising
I’m a 4th year English Lit student at Glasgow and I did Politics and French in 1st year and English Language and French in 2nd year. English Language was 100% the easiest, essays never too demanding and exams easy enough. For English Lit it was compulsory to do at least one year of English Language, not sure if Comparative Lit is the same. If you take a language you have to attend oral, written, and culture classes, but I didn’t find it too demanding. Probably wouldn’t recommend a heavy essay based course alongside Comparative Lit as I struggled with balancing English Lit and Politics.
okay thank you!
Reply 5
Original post by piscesrising
What did English Language entail
Original post by GoSy2195
What did English Language entail
Studying the history of the English language and how it has evolved into what it is today. You learn about Scots and other dialects. You study a lot of Chaucer and you do Shakespeare as well. The English Language and Linguistics page on the University of Glasgow goes into a lot more detail! It was 2 years ago so I’ve forgotten a lot of it lol, but I remember finding it interesting, and the exams are relatively short and easy (although this was COVID times so it might have changed since).
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending