The Student Room Group

Cgp english

Hi, should I buy the CGP english literature and language textbooks? Howver, I have heard that it is not good and for literature, it does not go into detail to get the grade 9. Do you think if I should use PMT and YouTube? THANKS
Original post by studyisnotbad
Hi, should I buy the CGP english literature and language textbooks? Howver, I have heard that it is not good and for literature, it does not go into detail to get the grade 9. Do you think if I should use PMT and YouTube? THANKS

PMT and youtube will get you to a good analysis/skills point. I don't really recommend getting the combined english lit + lang textbooks, because they are quite simplistic - I know this because I had a flick through it at a whsmith store and one of my friends bought the book.

I recommend getting an individual revision guide for the texts you're doing for english lit as those go into more detail into themes, characters + analysis.

For english language, I've found the cgp english lang revision guide quite helpful as it goes into depth in each of the different questions and how to tackle them - however, it isn't an absolute must, because youtube and online websites like mme revise cover it pretty well.
Original post by *LifeHappens*
PMT and youtube will get you to a good analysis/skills point. I don't really recommend getting the combined english lit + lang textbooks, because they are quite simplistic - I know this because I had a flick through it at a whsmith store and one of my friends bought the book.

I recommend getting an individual revision guide for the texts you're doing for english lit as those go into more detail into themes, characters + analysis.

For english language, I've found the cgp english lang revision guide quite helpful as it goes into depth in each of the different questions and how to tackle them - however, it isn't an absolute must, because youtube and online websites like mme revise cover it pretty well.

what is an individual revision guide? where do i get that?
what is an individual revision guide? where do i get that?

Basically the best ones are either cgp, like for example look at this link to see the text guide:

https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/secondary-books/gcse/english/text-guides-and-plays/eti45-gcse-english-text-guide-an-inspector

Or york notes:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inspector-Calls-York-Notes-GCSE/dp/1447982169

The cgp ones are quite simplistic but they help you understand the texts a lot better, however york notes go more in depth and have different analysis points.
Original post by *LifeHappens*
Basically the best ones are either cgp, like for example look at this link to see the text guide:

https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/secondary-books/gcse/english/text-guides-and-plays/eti45-gcse-english-text-guide-an-inspector

Or york notes:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inspector-Calls-York-Notes-GCSE/dp/1447982169

The cgp ones are quite simplistic but they help you understand the texts a lot better, however york notes go more in depth and have different analysis points.

Hi, I am thinking of not buying the text books because I feel like I am not going to use them. Do you believe if PMT is good? I heard from my friends that it is better than textbooks (I have seen the sample of the textbooks and it seems like it doesn't give enough detail)
Hi, I am thinking of not buying the text books because I feel like I am not going to use them. Do you believe if PMT is good? I heard from my friends that it is better than textbooks (I have seen the sample of the textbooks and it seems like it doesn't give enough detail)

Good decision, textbooks aren't likely to be your main revision resource, so may end up being a waste of space and money.

PMT is hugely effective for english lit (they only have past papers for english language, but so many resources for english literature). PMT alone helped me get a grade 9 for my poetry anthology "mock" exam. If you want extra efficiency, then combine PMT with Glow up your grades yt channel too, epic combo
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest