The Student Room Group

HELP! Postage issue...

Ok, so I have just sold my Xbox, 2 controllers and 5 games on eBay.

But now I have just seen it will cost me around £12.00 to send as a parcel via Royal Mail!

So I have to try and reduce my costs on packaging somehow! Anyone got any tips?

btw, I only put it on yesterday, so I didn't expect such a quick sale, so I haven't had time to prepare. (just in case someone feels like having a go at me for not thinking of these issues before :p:)
Reply 1
send it second class.

You could not put it in a box, just wrap plastic bags around it instaed.
Reply 2
if the buyer lives near you and you can druve, see if you can drop it off to them?]

other than that, i dont have any idea because you will prob have to refund them if you dont package it properly and it breaks
Reply 3
Try parcelforce i have almost always used their 48 hour service and it has only cost around £6, this even covered a set of golf clubs and a golf bag going from the north of england to the south!

Hope this helps
Rob
In future, you should charge the buyer for postage and packaging so you dont have to worry about it

I suggest using bubble wrap instead of newspaper for stuffing, as its more like packing air rather than anything else.

Make sure you pack neatly and concisely to reduce how much space you take up

Thats the best I can think of!
Reply 5
Thud
send it second class.

You could not put it in a box, just wrap plastic bags around it instaed.

well, its about £12.00 for a standard parcel delivewry which is the equivalent of 2nd class. If not, first class is about £15.00

Plastic bags? Not a bad idea...
Reply 7
Daniel.Blaze
In future, you should charge the buyer for postage and packaging so you dont have to worry about it

Well, actually I charged £20.00 for P&P but I didn't think it would cost that much (teaches me for trying to avoid paying higher seller fees)
Reply 8
n_251
Well, actually I charged £20.00 for P&P but I didn't think it would cost that much (teaches me for trying to avoid paying higher seller fees)

Trying to rip the customer off :eek: What have you got to worry about as even at £12.00 that is going to be around a £6 - 8 profit after packaging etc.
Reply 9
Rob 07
Trying to rip the customer off :eek: What have you got to worry about as even at £12.00 that is going to be around a £6 - 8 profit after packaging etc.

Yeah but I reduce the actual price of the product to accomodate :wink:

So its only eBay that get ripped off...

Also, I have just realised my P&P shoud not cost more than £12 - 13 in total. So, it's not all bad...thanks for your replies guys btw
Reply 10
n_251
Yeah but I reduce the actual price of the product to accomodate :wink:

So its only eBay that get ripped off...

Also, I have just realised my P&P shoud not cost more than £12 - 13 in total. So, it's not all bad...thanks for your replies guys btw

*reports to ebay*
Reply 11
Mad Vlad
*reports to ebay*

Nooooooooooooo...:no:
Reply 12
You won't last very long doing that now they have the star rating system. If people who buy from you see you are overcharging for postage (even if the item is cheaper) they are likely to give you a low star rating for postage charges. Get below 4.5 and all your listings get moved to the bottom of the list even when they are ending soon. I think there is also a limit which if you go below it they kick you off ebay.
Reply 13
flipshot
You won't last very long doing that now they have the star rating system. If people who buy from you see you are overcharging for postage (even if the item is cheaper) they are likely to give you a low star rating for postage charges. Get below 4.5 and all your listings get moved to the bottom of the list even when they are ending soon. I think there is also a limit which if you go below it they kick you off ebay.

meh...i'm sure people will understand *hopes in vain*
n_251
meh...i'm sure people will understand *hopes in vain*

Mind you, sometimes people undercharge on postage. I once paid £6.00 in total for a video box set and it cost the seller £4.75 to send the item. They only charged me £2.00 postage :no: I was happy that I got the videos cheap. :yep: but as a seller myself I've also underestimated postage costs in the past and for one item that I charged £5.00 inc p and p for I made a lousy 70p after postage and ebay fees :stomp:

Latest

Trending

Trending