The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Probably because the universities in the Uk are a
lot better than the ones in their country.
Reply 2
Yes but I assumed it would be easier to study in your own country providing that is where you wish to work.
Reply 3
I mean there is enough competition as there is -.-
Reply 4
Because the universities might be better, they might have courses that suit you more, you want to move away from home and experience the world... ?? There are many reasons... Why not??
Actually a lot of Asian students who come to UK universities are rejects from their own systems can be fiercely competitive. I know plenty of such students especially from the Far East.
Reply 6
In many cases it can also end up cheaper. International students may pay much higher fees, but in america, say, they are far higher still.
just change of place & u can show u studied in anotha place..2nd thing i agree with chris cuz in most uk university u pay the fees & enter giving ielts & even if u fail they give pre ielts session formality to secure the place for u. ^ yes uk uni much cheaper than US
Reply 8
Cheaper than studying in the US, only having to study what I want to study, having a new experience. Loads of reasons, really.
Reply 9
I have been living in UK since the age of 14, and made a decision of staying here for uni for one main reason. Universities like Cambridge or Imperial are well regarded in Europe and I hope that this reputation is well earned - I feel that I will be getting world class perparation for my future career. (Education in my country of origin is free so finance did not affect my decision)
Reply 10
Hmmm nice question OP!

I always loved England, the accent haha, history, landscape, culture ect. I think the UK has a lot of character! I'm German, and really don't like Germany.... If I would study in Germany it would be nearly free, but still I want to study in the UK. I'm traveling in the USA since 1,5 years now and really enjoy the language, getting to know new people and cultures. I think living abroad builds up a lot of character because you learn how other people live. Unis in the UK are not necessarily better than German ones. But British Unis offer more specific courses! I always wanted to study Events Management but in Germany you can just study that at private, highly expensive Unis. And British Unis have placement periods and are in general more practical and have great contacts to the industry!
I don't want study in the US because the courses are really not specific at all, I mean in the first 2 years everybody studies the same like maths, English, biology ect basic things.... in the US it counts more that you actually have any kind of degree! And that's definitely not what I want. If I wouldn't already have an offer from England for next year, I would have applied in the Netherlands, Italy or France.... Europe is great for other EU students because the healthcare system is great and cheap for us, I can walk or ride the bike or use public transportation to get everywhere which is impossible in the States. And I don't have any VISA problems.
So yeah that's my opinion as EU student from Germany.
I love England and I can't wait to get there next year.... and I actually don't really plan to go back to Germany. Depending on the situation, job offers ect. when I graduated I would love to stay in England- fortunately that's possible because I have a EU passport and don't have any VISA issues, so it's perfect for me! :smile:

Sorry it's so long, just wanted to state my opinion! There are prob some people with different ones but I'm just speaking out of my first hand in experience in Germany and the US!
EvilSheep
Because the universities might be better, they might have courses that suit you more, you want to move away from home and experience the world... ?? There are many reasons... Why not??

The more female Norwegians studying at our universities the better I say.

Latest

Trending

Trending