The Student Room Group

Puzzle about Whether to do PGCE and Subject Choose

Hi, I am a bit puzzled about my employability if I move into teaching and what subjects to pursue if I go into teaching.

I am originally from Hong Kong and have lived in London for two years. I graduated in Marketing and have a Master's degree in Social Work. Most of my professional life has been spent in Marketing, but I have now been working as a TA as an experiment.

My concerns are about employability and subject choice. I am aware it may be a disadvantage to move into teaching at 34, I also made a few career jumps and am also a foreigner. However, I am quite passionate about teaching and impacting the younger generation.

One area I'm particularly interested in is Secondary School or College Social Science and Humanitarian subjects. My question is: how in demand is this subject in the UK? What are the job prospects after completing a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) in Social Science? And would a foreigner with an accent have a significant disadvantage?

Additionally, as a secondary option, I'm open to teaching Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) students (as I also have ADHD myself), but preferably at a higher functioning level. I would appreciate insights on this area too.

Thank you in advance!
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending