to dilute factor it and then what? and the answer should be in moles

@1st superstar
Since you love watching threads lol
Original post by Ruhab Dabeer
Help with this plz
@Pigster @Deggs_14
Would u do 0.0191/25 *250

Oh I have no bloody clue how to do the questions in Chem help 3 @Pigster @Deggs_14
Still no replies lol also BUMP @Pigster , @Kian Stevens and @Deggs_14
Reply 4
I don’t know about this question, sorry :frown:
Original post by Deggs_14
I don’t know about this question, sorry :frown:

Welp @Pigster their only hope
Reply 6
Help with this plz
@Pigster @Deggs_14

2.23 g contains 0.019076 mol of the NH4VO3. This is dissolved into 250 cm3 of solution.

25 cm3 of this is used in the titration. This 25 cm3 must contain only a portion of the entire NH4VO3.

Your sum, 0.0191/25 *250 suggests that there is 0.191 mol of NH4VO3 in the sample! I should know you've made a mistake there.

(Original post by Ruhab Dabeer)Oh I have no bloody clue how to do the questions in Chem help 3 Pigster Deggs_14

A crucial part of the Q is not shown in your attached pictures (although I know the Q well and could, if I needed to, just find it).

The way I suggest you think about it is as follows:

2 mol of dichromate is found to oxidise 3 mol of substance X with an oxidation number of +2 to a higher (unknown) oxidation number. (I hope you can see how this is essentially the same as your Q, only with different numbers).

Constructing the half-equation for dichromate, you can work out that 1 mol of dichromate will steal 6 mol of e- when it causes oxidation.

Therefore 2 mol of dichromate will need to steal 12 mol of e-.

Now those 12 mol of e- are going to be stolen off 3 mol off X. Well, that's 4 e- off each X, which is an increase of oxidation number of 4, i.e. X goes to an oxidation number of +6.
Original post by Pigster
2.23 g contains 0.019076 mol of the NH4VO3. This is dissolved into 250 cm3 of solution.

25 cm3 of this is used in the titration. This 25 cm3 must contain only a portion of the entire NH4VO3.

Your sum, 0.0191/25 *250 suggests that there is 0.191 mol of NH4VO3 in the sample! I should know you've made a mistake there.

(Original post by Ruhab Dabeer)Oh I have no bloody clue how to do the questions in Chem help 3 Pigster Deggs_14

A crucial part of the Q is not shown in your attached pictures (although I know the Q well and could, if I needed to, just find it).

The way I suggest you think about it is as follows:

2 mol of dichromate is found to oxidise 3 mol of substance X with an oxidation number of +2 to a higher (unknown) oxidation number. (I hope you can see how this is essentially the same as your Q, only with different numbers).

Constructing the half-equation for dichromate, you can work out that 1 mol of dichromate will steal 6 mol of e- when it causes oxidation.

Therefore 2 mol of dichromate will need to steal 12 mol of e-.

Now those 12 mol of e- are going to be stolen off 3 mol off X. Well, that's 4 e- off each X, which is an increase of oxidation number of 4, i.e. X goes to an oxidation number of +6.

SOooo am I right or wrong??
Reply 8
SOooo am I right or wrong??

Right or wrong about what?

I have just noticed a mistake in my typing :frown:

I meant "You should know you've made a mistake there."
Original post by Pigster
Right or wrong about what?

I have just noticed a mistake in my typing :frown:

I meant "You should know you've made a mistake there."

about the answer?
about the answer?

About what answer? I might be missing something here, but I can't see anywhere that you've put an answer (except for 0.0191, which is correct).
Original post by Pigster
About what answer? I might be missing something here, but I can't see anywhere that you've put an answer (except for 0.0191, which is correct).

this ^
Original post by lyer_in_hellfyre
this ^

Like I said, the 250 cm3 solution contains 0.0191 mol.

25 cm3 of that solution is removed and Ruhab Dabeer suggests that the 25 cm3 now contains 0.191 mol, i.e. ten times the number of mol of the solution it is taken from.

That's either wrong or there is crazy magic taking place.
Original post by Pigster
Like I said, the 250 cm3 solution contains 0.0191 mol.

25 cm3 of that solution is removed and Ruhab Dabeer suggests that the 25 cm3 now contains 0.191 mol, i.e. ten times the number of mol of the solution it is taken from.

That's either wrong or there is crazy magic taking place.

oh it's the other way around then isn't it
So 0.0191/ 250 *(25)
:yy: :yy:
Original post by Pigster

Now those 12 mol of e- are going to be stolen off 3 mol off X. [i ]Well, that's 4 e- off each X,
which is an increase of oxidation number of 4, i.e. X goes to an oxidation number of 6.

:ta:
how do we decide if its 4 e- off each X?
Original post by lyer_in_hellfyre
:ta:
how do we decide if its 4 e- off each X?

If I steal 12 dozen sweets off 3 dozen people, on average, how many sweets does each person lose?
Original post by Pigster
If I steal 12 dozen sweets off 3 dozen people, on average, how many sweets does each person lose?

:eek2: :colondollar: :ta:
Original post by Pigster

Was my answer right!
Was my answer right!

Yep the second ans is tru btw dyu do cross multiplication?

If its
1.91x 10210^{-2} in 250cm3250cm^{3}
X in 25cm325cm^{3}

X will be 1.91x10310^{-3}
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest