The Student Room Group

Chemistry moles

Please could I have help on part ci, ciii and civ? I thoght for ci when you react potassium hydroxide with the remaining carbon dioxide potassium carbonate and water is made so I don’t understand how it is oxygen? I also don’t understand how to calculate iii and iv? Thank you so much!!
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Ashirs
Please could I have help on part ci, ciii and civ? I thoght for ci when you react potassium hydroxide with the remaining carbon dioxide potassium carbonate and water is made so I don’t understand how it is oxygen? I also don’t understand how to calculate iii and iv? Thank you so much!!

Please add your question
Reply 2
Sorry I’ve edited the original post with the question. Thanks
Original post by Ashirs
Sorry I’ve edited the original post with the question. Thanks

Ci) is oxygen, as it is in excess, as it is cooled, water vapour is condensed to liquid, which it is why it is 40cm3 after cooling, not 60cm3. Than KOH absorbs the CO2. As all of compound A is reacted (due to oxygen being excess), it can only be oxygen.
Hence now cii) You know it is CO2 as it is acidic… CO2 in (aq) solution produces carbonic acid, H2CO3.
Iii) 40 (before KOH) - 30 (after KOH) = 10 cm3
Iv) 50cm3 (at the start) - 30 cm3 of oxygen (at the end) = 20cm3. The reasoning explained in ci)

Quick Reply

Latest