The Student Room Group

Drawing Optical Isomers

How do i draw the optical isomer of this organic molecule with structural formula : (CH3)3CCHO.
Optical isomers require an asymmetric carbon atom i.e. four different groups attached to the carbon in question. Are you sure you’ve got the question right?
Reply 2
Original post by SkyRunner61
Optical isomers require an asymmetric carbon atom i.e. four different groups attached to the carbon in question. Are you sure you’ve got the question right?

Yeah I was just going to say - there needs to be a chiral centre somewhere. From your question it looks like this isn't the case!
Reply 3
Original post by SkyRunner61

yes my friend
Original post by papie
How do i draw the optical isomer of this organic molecule with structural formula : (CH3)3CCHO.

If you struggle to visualise them (a lot of people do) then get yourself an organic Molymod set from Amazon. They're very little money and will help you enormously.
Reply 5
Original post by Sidd1
Yeah I was just going to say - there needs to be a chiral centre somewhere. From your question it looks like this isn't the case!

the only other information given is that the molecule that i have to draw the optical isomer for is an isomer of (CH3)3CCHO.. idk if that makes sense :biggrin:
Original post by papie
the only other information given is that the molecule that i have to draw the optical isomer for is an isomer of (CH3)3CCHO.. idk if that makes sense :biggrin:

Oh if it’s draw the optical isomer of an isomer of that that’s actually possible. Like I said, you need a carbon with four different groups attached, so try and see if you can come up with a structure like that, using a broken line to indicate away from you and a wedged like to indicate towards you

The optical isomer just has those two groups switched

Quick Reply

Latest