The Student Room Group

chem isomer as help?

Why is there 1 isomer and what would this be?isomerssss.png
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by idk__21
Why is there 1 isomer and what would this be?isomerssss.png

You've got 2xCl on one C. The only other way of arranging everything is for 2 different C's to have 1xCl each. It doesn't matter (with position isomerism) whether the Cl's are next to each other or opposite.
Reply 2
Original post by Pigster
You've got 2xCl on one C. The only other way of arranging everything is for 2 different C's to have 1xCl each. It doesn't matter (with position isomerism) whether the Cl's are next to each other or opposite.

So because on the second carbon there are two methyl groups, does that mean that even if both Cl's were on one of the two methyl groups (red) or one cl was on one of the methyl groups and another cl was on the methyl group opposite (orange) that would be the same thing??isomer eg.png Ik the picture is not correct but i just draw on the CL roughly to show what i mean
Original post by idk__21
So because on the second carbon there are two methyl groups, does that mean that even if both Cl's were on one of the two methyl groups (red) or one cl was on one of the methyl groups and another cl was on the methyl group opposite (orange) that would be the same thing??isomer eg.png Ik the picture is not correct but i just draw on the CL roughly to show what i mean

There is no "opposite". The central carbon is tetrahedral, so all of the attached carbon atoms are identical.
Reply 4
Original post by Pigster

Why doesn't it matter whether the Cl's are next to each other? In the case of dimethyl cyclohexane would there also be two positional isomers only?

Quick Reply

Latest