The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Josephine Butler- Durham

I applied to Durham thinking I would have no/ little chance of being accepted and I did some research into colleges and applied to the college I thought was best (Josephine Butler) and have recently received an offer which I was happy about initially and I did further research and realised the college I had applied to isn’t going to be the college for me and doesn't feel like where I belong it’s making me stressed and may even be the reason I go to a completely different university all together is there anyway I would be able to change this I haven’t accepted my offer via UCAS yet. Please help!!
Once you are allocated you cannot change except for medical reasons as it forms part of your offer. Therefore technically if you reject your college you are rejecting your offer. JO BO is a very popular choice for sc accomodation so Im surprised you are unhappy
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Once you are allocated you cannot change except for medical reasons as it forms part of your offer. Therefore technically if you reject your college you are rejecting your offer. JO BO is a very popular choice for sc accomodation so Im surprised you are unhappy

I don’t want sc that’s the main reason why I’m unhappy
You're overreacting. What is it about JB that is putting you off? If it's the accommodation there is the possibility of living out of college... pretty much everything else is similar and everyone ends up liking their college (I applied St Johns, got John Snow). It is the people you meet and what you get involved in that make up your uni experience.
Reply 4
You're overreacting. What is it about JB that is putting you off? If it's the accommodation there is the possibility of living out of college... pretty much everything else is similar and everyone ends up liking their college (I applied St Johns, got John Snow). It is the people you meet and what you get involved in that make up your uni experience.

I’ve spoken to people I know that have gone to Durham and they all say that Butler is far out and isolated and I know that going to university can already be a lonley experience I don’t want to be miles out down a hill in the middle of nowhere and also being sc makes it even more isolating
Well this year Butler is near the new buildings for John Snow and South colleges so not isolated and near Stephenson too.
Well this year Butler is near the new buildings for John Snow and South colleges so not isolated and near Stephenson too.

Not quite. The new JS building is in Mount Oswald near Van Mildert, not the hills
I’ve spoken to people I know that have gone to Durham and they all say that Butler is far out and isolated and I know that going to university can already be a lonley experience I don’t want to be miles out down a hill in the middle of nowhere and also being sc makes it even more isolating

It is not thaaat far out. Stephenson is next to it and it's only a 10 min walk to the science site where most lectures are held. John Snow this year is about 30 mins away from the sci site and there aren't any nearby colleges but it was still such a great experience. As I said you could look to live in private accomm like student castle, unite students, dun holm, chapel heights and ernest place and still meet people.

Besides, it's not in the middle of nowhere. 10 min down and you'll get to VM, JS, SC and the Business School. JB is within the uni area unlike some colleges like Hild Bede :smile:
Reply 9
Hey I'm in the same situation except I want to move to Josephine butler! I am at Van Mildert at the moment. What subject do you do? Maybe we can request a swap?

I applied to Durham thinking I would have no/ little chance of being accepted and I did some research into colleges and applied to the college I thought was best (Josephine Butler) and have recently received an offer which I was happy about initially and I did further research and realised the college I had applied to isn’t going to be the college for me and doesn't feel like where I belong it’s making me stressed and may even be the reason I go to a completely different university all together is there anyway I would be able to change this I haven’t accepted my offer via UCAS yet. Please help!!

Quick Reply

Latest