The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Best Durham College that's catered, progressive attitudes, and not too far for Law?

Hi all, I'd like to know your opinions or knowledge on the best Durham College that's catered, has a progressive attitude / atleast slightly diverse & not just full of ********s or all private school people, and not too far from the law faculty/department? Preferably out of the 5 I will list below.

Castle. Josephine Butler. South. Stephenson. Trevelyan.

Thank you.

PS: I'm not opposed to a college full of private school people, as long as they're not condescending or... Uptight & traditional. I'm a black man that's state school educated, and I've heard that Durham has a reputation for people being posh & rude *******s, (Miners event 2017), while members of the student body look down upon people and correct their accent unironically 😂.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 1
No expert - just another prospective student. JoBo and Stevo are both self-catered.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by artistath3art
Hi all, I'd like to know your opinions or knowledge on the best Durham College that's catered, has a progressive attitude / atleast slightly diverse & not just full of ********s or all private school people, and not too far from the law faculty/department? Preferably out of the 4 I will list below.

Castle. Josephine Butler. Stephenson. Trevelyan.

Thank you.

PS: I'm not opposed to a college full of private school people, as long as they're not condescending or... Uptight & traditional. I'm a black man that's state school educated, and I've heard that Durham has a reputation for people being posh & rude *******s, (Miners event 2017), while members of the student body look down upon people and correct their accent unironically 😂.

Choose Hatfield or St Mary’s

thank me, later
Reply 3
Original post by Sheppi
No expert - just another prospective student. JoBo and Stevo are both self-catered.

Thanks.
Reply 4
Original post by Wired_1800
Choose Hatfield or St Mary’s

thank me, later

Interesting, I've heard st Mary's is ok, but rather oldish. I will research Hatfield. Thanks.
I'm a person of colour and I'm in Collingwood and I really think its great. I haven't met anyone stuck up and the whole vibe of college is so chill I rlly recommend. A lot of my college friends study law too, the walk is not far at all.
Original post by artistath3art
Hi all, I'd like to know your opinions or knowledge on the best Durham College that's catered, has a progressive attitude / atleast slightly diverse & not just full of ********s or all private school people, and not too far from the law faculty/department? Preferably out of the 5 I will list below.

Castle. Josephine Butler. South. Stephenson. Trevelyan.

Thank you.

Reply 6
Original post by anonymous120203
I'm a person of colour and I'm in Collingwood and I really think its great. I haven't met anyone stuck up and the whole vibe of college is so chill I rlly recommend. A lot of my college friends study law too, the walk is not far at all.

Thanks for your perspective.
Reply 7
My son is in Trevelyan and loves it. A real mix of people. I asked him how many were from private school and he said he had no idea as no one asks! It is gowned and catered. It is known as the friendly college and he has found that. They have lots of events for the students, and really made an effort to help them settle in. Can't praise them more highly really
Reply 8
Original post by ajl1972
My son is in Trevelyan and loves it. A real mix of people. I asked him how many were from private school and he said he had no idea as no one asks! It is gowned and catered. It is known as the friendly college and he has found that. They have lots of events for the students, and really made an effort to help them settle in. Can't praise them more highly really

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest