The Student Room Group

How does the sequence of interviewing work?

Hi,
Can you explain the Oxford interview sequence / process please? I get called for interview say on Wednesday at College A, my first choce say. If I am hopeless, do I get sent home then without further interviews; and if I am 'promising' but not quite good enough for College A, I get sent to College B on Thursday? If College A chooses me, do I get sent home immediately?
My reasons for asking run like this: how can College A decide to pick me without seeing others on Thursday & Friday; and yet how can they send me for interview to College B if they have decided to take me?
Also, can you tell me when and where I get told how the day's interviews have gone? Has anyone been told they're in after the first interview?
THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP.
Reply 1
I'm not an Oxonian but as you haven't got a response - and it seems like you would rather like one! - I'll tell you what I know; the way I understand it, you can't tell anything from how many colleges interview you. Some people get interviewed once and don't get in; some get interviewed once and get their first choice; some get interviewed three times and get their first choice, some their second, and some still don't get in after three interviews. I have no idea how they work it, but don't panic if you don't get called for a second interview! - and equally don't panic if you do!

I hope this tides you over till someone can answer who actually knows their stuff :redface: :smile:
Reply 2
MadNatSci
I'm not an Oxonian but as you haven't got a response - and it seems like you would rather like one! - I'll tell you what I know; the way I understand it, you can't tell anything from how many colleges interview you. Some people get interviewed once and don't get in; some get interviewed once and get their first choice; some get interviewed three times and get their first choice, some their second, and some still don't get in after three interviews. I have no idea how they work it, but don't panic if you don't get called for a second interview! - and equally don't panic if you do!

I hope this tides you over till someone can answer who actually knows their stuff :redface: :smile:

yup, all that is entirely true :smile: you just can't tell; nothing is a solid indication. I had interviews at more than one college, but got into my first choice, my friend only had an interview at the first choice college and got in, some people only had interviews at their first choice college and didn't... It's really just a matter of doing your best at interview and then waiting to see what happens...:smile:
Reply 3
You are expected to stay until they say you can go. Most people are given dates that they are expected to arrive and when you get there you will be given the times for your interview(s). When those are over, unless they tell you otherwise you are, I think, expected to stay, available for interviews at other colleges should they wish to see you.
It may or may not happen. If you are called to another interview it often means that you are a strong enough candidate that others want to see you and/or perhaps your first choice college may also think you good, but wants a second opinion.... its difficult to second guess colleges!
Reply 4
thank you, sincerely! worried about the unknown, you know.
best of luck to you.

Latest

Trending

Trending