The Student Room Group

Help a level bio

Help I don’t get this q how do I work out the sequence of bases from gel electrophoresis??IMG_2347.jpeg

The ans from the ms are on the page I just don’t get it 😭
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Alevelhelp.1
Help I don’t get this q how do I work out the sequence of bases from gel electrophoresis??IMG_2347.jpeg

If you look at the lines, the one closest to the 5' end corresponds to G, the next closest is T, the next A
Reply 2
The DNA has been cut into fragments. The shorter the fragment, the further it travels towards the positive (because it can move through the gel more easily.

Each dark line represents fragments that got that far. The line across the top shows the last base in the sequence on the fragment shown up by the radiolabelling.

So the shortest lengths end in a 'G'. so the G is the first base. And so on
(edited 11 months ago)

you read the sequence from the bottom upwards
Reply 4
Original post by idontlikeessays
you read the sequence from the bottom upwards

Wdym there’s only 4 bases I don’t
Know how to do this
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Wdym there’s only 4 bases I don’t
Know how to do this

Do you know the game/app "Piano Tiles"? Same sort of concept of reading from the bottom upwards
Reply 6
Original post by bl0bf1sh
Do you know the game/app "Piano Tiles"? Same sort of concept of reading from the bottom upwards

Omg Thank you soooo much I actually get it now… I loved that game as a child but don’t play any games anymore cos of studying :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest