The Student Room Group

Are there any biology or chemistry degree apprenticeship?

I wanted to consider doing an apprenticeship in biology or chemistry as I think it is a better route than university, but I am struggling to find any online. Does anyone know of any companies that offer them?
Original post by ashura140
I wanted to consider doing an apprenticeship in biology or chemistry as I think it is a better route than university, but I am struggling to find any online. Does anyone know of any companies that offer them?

You won't find an apprenticeship in biology or chemistry as they are academic subjects - if you want to study them further, you will need to attend uni.

Were you thinking more of jobs such as a lab technician?

There is list of apprenticeships on the following link that will give you an idea of what is available:

https://careerfinder.ucas.com/jobs/apprenticeship/#browsing

Hi there,

I know that AstraZeneca do a few science based apprenticeships. https://careers.astrazeneca.com/early-talent Have a look on the link and see if any seem appealing.

Hope that helps. I've been through the AstraZeneca process before and got an offer so happy to give advice. Let me know if you have any questions.
Reply 3
Original post by normaw
You won't find an apprenticeship in biology or chemistry as they are academic subjects - if you want to study them further, you will need to attend uni.

Were you thinking more of jobs such as a lab technician?

There is list of apprenticeships on the following link that will give you an idea of what is available:

https://careerfinder.ucas.com/jobs/apprenticeship/#browsing

Thanks a lot, that is what I was hoping to do
Reply 4
Original post by apprentinsideryt
Hi there,

I know that AstraZeneca do a few science based apprenticeships. https://careers.astrazeneca.com/early-talent Have a look on the link and see if any seem appealing.

Hope that helps. I've been through the AstraZeneca process before and got an offer so happy to give advice. Let me know if you have any questions.

would you mind describing how was the process and what you thought about it?
thanks a lot for the help
would you mind describing how was the process and what you thought about it?
thanks a lot for the help

Of course, no worries. This was my experience with it (might have changed since but most likely will be the same process).

The first step is the online application. This was quite work experience focused (it had its own section just for work experience) so I think having work experience is something AstraZeneca rate very highly. Do you have any work experience you would be able to use? (If you need, I can send you over a video which has a bunch of work experience opportunities available now just let me know if you want that)

After that is online testing made up of two parts. First, the Situational Judgement Test. It gives you a scenario and you have to choose the decision you would make/not make. The key to choosing the best decision is to constantly think about the company’s values:
- we follow the science
- we put patients first
- we play to win
- we do the right thing
- we are entrepreneurial
This helps because you can choose the decision which puts patients first and is the right thing to do and is an entrepreneurial decision etc. That’s how you can score highly on the Situational Judgement test just make the decisions which align with the company values.
The second part of the online testing is the Ability test. This is a test of your mathematical and reading ability as well as logic and sequences. Practice is the best way of getting a good score at this.

Finally, there is the assessment centre. This involves an interview, a group exercise and a presentation (which you will have prepared beforehand). Best tips for the interview is practice and have answers ready to common questions such as tell me a time when you worked as a team/worked as a leader/worked hard on something/had to adapt your plan. The best way of getting answers for these is by doing work experience and encountering scenarios. For the group exercise, I would recommend that you take an active role with the group but make sure you are listening and asking for everyone’s viewpoints. For the presentation, making sure you stick to the brief and time limit is very important for coming across as professional.

Overall the assessment centre was quite enjoyable. And if successful, the process is all done and you will have received the offer by the start of March so gives you plenty of time to focus on A levels if that's what you're doing.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions or want me to send over the link about work experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending