The Student Room Group

Med Reject

I feel so stupid, I was rejected from all of my med schools post interview, my revision has been inconsistent at best, I will power ahead for a week and fall back into a slump in the next, all my friends seem to be moving forward with their lives but I'm failing. I feel so guilty my parents keep telling me they'll always support and they know I'll do well but I just feel like I've disappointed everyone. I worked so hard last year to be predicted 3 A*s, I worked hard to practise for the BMAT and I worked hard for my interview. I feel so useless now, I got 3 C's in my mocks but have been slowly improving for maths it feels like bio and chem are a lost cause now.
I now don't think medicine is for me, I want a career where I can spend enough time with my family and friends but also improve other people's lives meaningfully.
I feel so weak and pathetic because I know there have been and there probably will be people in my situation now who are powering ahead but I can't help these negative thoughts.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I feel so stupid, I was rejected from all of my med schools post interview, my revision has been inconsistent at best, I will power ahead for a week and fall back into a slump in the next, all my friends seem to be moving forward with their lives but I'm failing. I feel so guilty my parents keep telling me they'll always support and they know I'll do well but I just feel like I've disappointed everyone. I worked so hard last year to be predicted 3 A*s, I worked hard to practise for the BMAT and I worked hard for my interview. I feel so useless now, I got 3 C's in my mocks but have been slowly improving for maths it feels like bio and chem are a lost cause now.
I now don't think medicine is for me, I want a career where I can spend enough time with my family and friends but also improve other people's lives meaningfully.
I feel so weak and pathetic because I know there have been and there probably will be people in my situation now who are powering ahead but I can't help these negative thoughts.

You've tried your best though which is great like thats what life and success is about, hard work dnd trying your best. C is good too and you said you're improving as well.
Reply 2
Its easy for me to say but its very hard to find the positive right now and its understandable you feel so bad. You have had the life sucked out of you and your life's plans suddenly stopped and its not a pleasant feeling. You are staring at a huge personal loss. But you are not yet in a position to deal with this.

The work involved in studying for exams in medicine is 200% effort for weeks and months particularly at chemistry and biology. If you are bright and a grafter but not a high flyer is absolutely all consuming and mind destroying. Unless you have been there it is difficult to explain to anyone how you feel about the head pain it causes.

I visualise a brain after excessive revision like a dried up prune with nothing left of it.

I don't know when your exams finish, but take a moment to know that none of your hard work is ever wasted. The hardest thing is still to go into the exams and do the best you can right now. So much in life depends on you recognising that there are many many opportunities in the sciences even at lower grades - so never self destruct. Your life does not end on the basis of rejection. One mark more can be a B not a C

You go in there and just do your best learning as much as you can committed to memory with as much exam technique as you can aim for. But failure by giving up is not an option. You do not die because you didn't get your grades. Try telling that to someone who is dying, a medic in Iran, a surgeon in Ukraine. You have many more chances but life is a little different here.

Many of life's best opportunities are linked to emotional IQ and getting on with people. If you have confidence in yourself you have such an amazing foundation to work with. Do this by analysing what you are good at. Yes you were good enough to get interviews and offers at medicine (so many students never even get a reply) - so hold onto that. Your potential talent has been recognised. Do not start selling yourself down the drain. Medicine is brutal. Your options are to reconsider if you are determined enough to go into medicine or other related health care related services, and then apply later as a mature student if you still want that goal. Your life just does not stop at 21 or at 40.

Medicine is a long slow drip feed of highly painful long words and sequences. It is long hours, hard working conditions, immense pressures to make incredibly important decisions when you are so tired you could cry. The exams you do now are just the start. Your life is not your own. There is no let up, it lasts for years as you progress through the NHS meat grinder. Maybe medicine isn't for you? If that is the case congratulate yourself on just how you managed to save your own life and your sanity. That may be a very sensible decision if you feel you don't react well to working under pressure.

But right now - do not implode. Get a grip, revise like your life depended on it and get the very best grades you can ever get. If you do that you will be ahead of so many others in exactly the same position and gain their grades. If you give up you get diddly. This experience will help you to understand how you react to extreme tiredness, pressure, and self imposed pressure. Use it wisely and give yourself some breathing spaces if you can. Talk things through with someone you trust.

You are so lucky to have supportive loving family. They will still be there come rain or shine, and that is so precious. You are studying for yourself now so you need to have the inner solve to know that medicine is never all or nothing. You have just lost sight of how valuable your results will be for so many more things in life (things that you haven't really looked at in depth yet or things that are outside of the box and maybe you haven't looked at them just yet) Be that hero - get through this and then help others.

Make a hot drink (solves everything) take a deep breath and get back to revision. Hold your nerve. Do everything you can just to get one more mark on the exam paper than yesterday. Then keep going. It might be for the job you don't yet have and could be crucial. In ten years you may never look back at this stage where you felt so miserable.

When you have finished all of your exams you can allow yourself to stop properly and explore all of your options. But that time might not be right now. And never ever just look at 'others' sailing through. That is abject misery and a perception. A few will always effortlessly do so (hate them) but the majority of ordinary mortals will graft and graft and graft till their brain has died and needs resuscitating. Get going and do not stop until this race has ended.

Then collapse, review your options, say you will never do another exam ever again and climb back on the crazy treadmill.

Quick Reply

Latest