The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I am an international student applying to the UK for medicine . Would anyone know where I can find a list of all the medical schools acceptance rates for international students or any recommendations on the medical schools that are good for international students. Any help would be appreciated.
Original post by himanshu0000000
I am an international student applying to the UK for medicine . Would anyone know where I can find a list of all the medical schools acceptance rates for international students or any recommendations on the medical schools that are good for international students. Any help would be appreciated.

Most medical schools post the stats each year of number of applicants applied, how many offers were given and how many got in. This is normally subdivided up into international students, EU and then home student. If you google the medical universities individually you should be able to find them. Someone may have collated all the data together
hello, since this is an international applicant thread, is anyone applying for AUSTRALIA medical schools ie. Monash Uni or UNSW New South Wales medical schools? I am applying to both UK and Australia this year but the COVID is affecting us all :frown: If you taking the ISAT exam for Australia medicine, I love to exchange practice questions and share exam tips for prepping together! Cheers :u:

has anyone studying CBSE board gotten into medical school in UK as an international student?

The medical schools council website lists the competition ratios for home applicants and international applicants for UK universities.

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/studying-medicine/applications/entry-requirements

As a rough guide each medical school caps its intake of international students to roughly 7.5% of its total intake for the year. This works out to between 20 to 30 places in the bigger schools. All the medical schools are regulated by the GMC so the quality of training is the same. As an international applicant my considerations were recognition for qualification by my home country, method of teaching, UCAT or BMAT, tuition fees and cost of living.
Original post by chateau55
The medical schools council website lists the competition ratios for home applicants and international applicants for UK universities.

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/studying-medicine/applications/entry-requirements

As a rough guide each medical school caps its intake of international students to roughly 7.5% of its total intake for the year. This works out to between 20 to 30 places in the bigger schools. All the medical schools are regulated by the GMC so the quality of training is the same. As an international applicant my considerations were recognition for qualification by my home country, method of teaching, UCAT or BMAT, tuition fees and cost of living.

Thank you for your reply.
Since asking that that I have done a lot more research into what each university is looking for (UCAT/IGCSE/A2L/PS heavy) and hence will be tailoring my application to my stats once I get all of them. However I am lucky i wont have to think about recognition as I have a British passport.
If you don't mind me asking what universities you got offers/interviews from, and what were your stats?
Hi! I’m an international student that just graduated from BioMed (in the UK) with a 1st and will be starting Medicine in the UK this September. I had a couple of questions and would really appreciate some advice/ answers on the following:

- As an international student what are my prospects of securing an FY1 / FY2 position and finally a career in the UK?
- In order to secure a position what should I focus on during med school? What grades should I try to achieve? Should I be doing any specific extra-curricular activities? Any other things I should look into to expand my CV?
- Should I intercalate in my 4th year?
- Can students on a Tier 4 visa get a part time job as an HCA?

These were the only questions I could think of right now. Any other advice is also welcome. I hope everyone is keeping safe and thank you for your time!
Hey everyone! This is my first time asking a question at the The Student Room.

I am currently in the Grade 11 of the CBSE board, with the subject combinations (Phyiscs-Chem-Math-Bio), and am looking forward to studying medicine in the United Kingdom. I got a 97% in my 10th boards and am rooting for a 95+% in my 12th board exams too.

The Universities I'm looking towards are the University of Oxford, Imperial College, King's College, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester and others. But mostly the University of Oxford is my top priority to get into.

What is the entire process from start to the end for applying to these universities, and also what are the entry requirements for an Indian CBSE student?

I have also read previously on The student Room, that CBSE students were not directly allowed entry in many universities, after completing 10+2. Is this rule still applicable till date?

And also do you have to give NEET for application?
I don't know what NEET is, but you can probably find Indian specific qualification entry criteria on most universities admissions pages; see Oxford here (under I): https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/for-international-students/international-qualifications. It seems they accept Grade 12 students. Note that for most medical courses in the UK you need to have turned 18 before the first day of the course.

Otherwise in general you need via UCAS, and you can only apply to a maximum of four (out of five total options) medicine courses in any given application cycle. The deadline for medicine courses (and also all courses at Oxford and Cambridge including medicine) is October 15th; the deadline for all other courses at all other universities is January 15th. You can add your final non-medical course choice later after the medicine deadline if you wish.

You will also need to take the BMAT or UCAT (or both), depending on which universities you apply to (Oxford requires the BMAT for medicine I believe); you will have to register for these in advance so make sure you find out where you can take the test and register well in advance to make sure you can get in on a test date that is accepted by the medical school(s) you're applying to. Not all medical schools accepted all test dates for each.

You should check each medical school's admissions pages carefully to look at the entry criteria and shortlisting methodologies used, as well as details on how the interviews (if offered) are conducted etc. Different medical schools put varying weights on different aspects of the application, so someone who would be a strong applicant for one medical school may be a weaker one for a different one.
Reply 29
Hey,

I'm starting CIE A levels this September and I want to get into medicine as an international student in the UK, is there any advice that you could give to potentially increase my chances of getting in?

Thank you.
Original post by artful_lounger
I don't know what NEET is, but you can probably find Indian specific qualification entry criteria on most universities admissions pages; see Oxford here (under I): https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/for-international-students/international-qualifications. It seems they accept Grade 12 students. Note that for most medical courses in the UK you need to have turned 18 before the first day of the course.

Otherwise in general you need via UCAS, and you can only apply to a maximum of four (out of five total options) medicine courses in any given application cycle. The deadline for medicine courses (and also all courses at Oxford and Cambridge including medicine) is October 15th; the deadline for all other courses at all other universities is January 15th. You can add your final non-medical course choice later after the medicine deadline if you wish.

You will also need to take the BMAT or UCAT (or both), depending on which universities you apply to (Oxford requires the BMAT for medicine I believe); you will have to register for these in advance so make sure you find out where you can take the test and register well in advance to make sure you can get in on a test date that is accepted by the medical school(s) you're applying to. Not all medical schools accepted all test dates for each.

You should check each medical school's admissions pages carefully to look at the entry criteria and shortlisting methodologies used, as well as details on how the interviews (if offered) are conducted etc. Different medical schools put varying weights on different aspects of the application, so someone who would be a strong applicant for one medical school may be a weaker one for a different one.

NEET is the National Eligibility *** Entrance Test, specifically used for entry in medical colleges in India, conducted for 720 marks.. I read somewhere that you might need at least a 360+ mark on this test before considering applying to UK. I still had a doubt whether it is necessary, so I included it in my question.

Anyway, yes, I will have turned 18 by the time I begin medical college. Ok, so the BMAT and the UCAT as of what I have researched recently, are 2 different medical entry exams used by different colleges. Like the University of Oxford uses the BMAT-Novemeber, while the University of Edinburgh uses the UCAT. How do I register for these tests, and what are the deadlines. Also, where will I be writing them?

Any idea?
Original post by uraveragekid
NEET is the National Eligibility *** Entrance Test, specifically used for entry in medical colleges in India, conducted for 720 marks.. I read somewhere that you might need at least a 360+ mark on this test before considering applying to UK. I still had a doubt whether it is necessary, so I included it in my question.

Anyway, yes, I will have turned 18 by the time I begin medical college. Ok, so the BMAT and the UCAT as of what I have researched recently, are 2 different medical entry exams used by different colleges. Like the University of Oxford uses the BMAT-Novemeber, while the University of Edinburgh uses the UCAT. How do I register for these tests, and what are the deadlines. Also, where will I be writing them?

Any idea?

If NEET is a test for Indian medical schools why would you need to take it for UK medical schools? I've never heard of it and as stated the admissions tests used by UK medical schools are the BMAT and UCAT. As for your further questions on these, you can find all that information on the respective websites for each test. If you just google the test name you will find those websites with the relevant info. As stated previously however you will need to check the individual webpages of the each medical school you wish to apply to and see what test and which test date(s) are accepted, as not all will accept all test dates (I believe Oxford only accept the October test date for the BMAT, fo example).
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
If NEET is a test for Indian medical schools why would you need to take it for UK medical schools? I've never heard of it and as stated the admissions tests used by UK medical schools are the BMAT and UCAT. As for your further questions on these, you can find all that information on the respective websites for each test. If you just google the test name you will find those websites with the relevant info. As stated previously however you will need to check the individual webpages of the each medical school you wish to apply to and see what test and which test date(s) are accepted, as not all will accept all test dates (I believe Oxford only accept the October test date for the BMAT, fo example).

Yeah. I guess you "had" to take NEET previously, as previously 10+2 in CBSE curriculum from India was not recognised as competitive by many UK universities as compared to IB. Now, the norm might have changed regarding NEET. I am still researching about the relevance of taking the NEET, anyway.
work experience
extra study/research/reading related to your chosen subject
Reply 34
Hello, I am not sure if this has been asked here before or whether there is a centralised hub of information for my question: which medical school has the highest acceptance rate for international students applying to study undergraduate medicine?

Thank you!
Reply 35
Oh, thank you for correcting my thread!

I was wondering, is there any compilation of acceptance rates of international students for other medical schools?
Reply 36
Original post by Libbyc16
work experience
extra study/research/reading related to your chosen subject

What should my research revolve around of?
Original post by Khalid Al-Raisi
What should my research revolve around of?

a book you’ve read related you your chosen subject
I started to worry there might be no places left or only a few places for international medical applicants in 2021. Each medical school has only about 20 places for international students, but now it seems most of 2021 places have already been fixed. e.g. QUB always make around 70 offers for 25 international places, now let's guess at least 50 international students already meet the entry requirements, so places have been filled for next year. GAME OVER :mad:
Hi
need some advice here

Last week i achieved A*AA for A levels and im planninng to apply this year for the 2021 intake.(this sep im taking ucat)
Since medical schools are now offering places for the 2021 intake to those who applied for the 2020 intake will my application get rejected?

im doubtful because of applying as a gap year international student and applying with calculated grades

please be kind enough to advice me on this :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending