The Student Room Group

West Yorkshire Hospitals

Are there any students from Leeds or junior doctors in the West yorkshire deanery that can give me some advice about the hospitals? Which ones are generally the most popular? and any to avoid?

Are any of the commutes particularly bad? I don't mind a long drive but would like to avoid stressful/traffic filled ones.

I hear most junior doctors live in and around Headingley. Is this the best place to be for the various commutes?
Avoid Pinderfields.
Harrogate is meant to be good.
Pinders is considered the worst but Airedale, Bradford and Calderdale have good reputations. LGI and St james are very busy and stressful, Harrogate did have a good reputation but it seems to not be as good now with poor staffing and increased responsibility and airedale is considered better now.
Reply 3
Airedale is by far the best in West Yorkshire, it’s so chilled out there. Calderdale and Bradford good but not on the same level. Huddersfield is decent (hospital accommodation was really nice) but I don’t know a great deal about the work there. I agree with above: Pinderfields and Harrogate are disgusting - avoid like the plague. Staff are rude and disorganised, work is very poorly supported and it just feels **** to be at either of them. They had no accommodation for medical students but I don’t know if the same is true for doctors.
Pinderfields avoid avoid
I quite liked Harrogate a med student, and there was accom available? The F1s all seemed happy. Airedale is meant to be quite understaffed but more relaxed. Calderdale and Bradford good. LGI and St James can be busy and stressful but better location wise if you live in Leeds.
If I had stayed in West Yorkshire I would've gone for F1 Harrogate F2 Leeds, my friends who did that have had a good experience
Reply 5
Thanks for the responses guys. The only thing I’m concerned about is the commute to some of these hospitals - feel like it could have a big impact on quality of life
Commuting is a bit of a nightmare to everywhere. I commuted from Leeds to York, Bradford, Halifax, dewsbury and worked at both the Leeds hospitals. They all have their quirks! Liked York, had a rough time at Bradford. All were fine in their different ways.
Reply 7
Original post by HHaricot
Commuting is a bit of a nightmare to everywhere. I commuted from Leeds to York, Bradford, Halifax, dewsbury and worked at both the Leeds hospitals. They all have their quirks! Liked York, had a rough time at Bradford. All were fine in their different ways.

What did you dislike about Bradford?
Original post by Anonymous
What did you dislike about Bradford?

Ah, it was a while back and things have changed since then... i dont think i would dislike it now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending