The Student Room Group

Cricket ban on Zimbabwe

I fail to understand why our ngland team is again playing cricket in Zimbabwe, while the insane Marxist Mugagbe continues to kill and steal and generally run what was a successful African counrty into the ground.

The International cricket body that giverns the sport should long ago have banned Zimbabwe from the game.

===========================================

Zimbabwe's workforce fleeing poverty and oppression: report

Up to 70 per cent of Zimbabwe's workers, about 3.4 million people, has fled the country to escape the political oppression and collapsing economy under President Robert Mugabe's rule, according to research by an independent church group.

The South African-based Solidarity Peace Trust said that most of the workers had crossed the borders into neighbouring countries, with an estimated 1.5 million skilled and able-bodied workers arriving in South Africa to seek work to support families left behind in Zimbabwe.

"An estimated 25 to 30 per cent of the entire Zimbabwean population has left the nation," the Peace Trust reported.

"Out of 5 million potentially productive adults, 3.4 million are outside Zimbabwe. This is a staggering 60 to 70 per cent of productive adults."

Zimbabwe's economy is in its most dire crisis since independence in 1980.

Unemployment remains at about 70 per cent, inflation persists in three figures and the United Nations has warned that the country will again face severe food shortages caused mainly by the Government's ill-planned and violent seizure of white-owned commercial farms, which has wrecked a once-thriving agricultural sector.
AdvertisementAdvertisement

Political repression and the heavy-handed suppression of any opposition to the Mugabe Government by the authorities have added to the country's economic woes and forced many professional and skilled people to leave by any route they can find.

"The loss of skills has impacted on the health and education services in Zimbabwe," the Peace Trust report said. "Many professionals such as teachers, nurses, policemen and artisans have been driven out by political events and are living like vagrants in South Africa."

Kevin Dowling, the Roman Catholic bishop of Rustenburg, north-west of Johannesburg, said he feared that the exodus would increase before the next general election, in March.

"The climate of oppression could be ratcheted up with impunity, and there is a good chance we in South Africa will have to receive yet more refugees," he said.

Sydney Morning Herald

Scroll to see replies

It's a sorry situation: I read in yesterday's paper that all Zimbabwean banknotes have a "use-by" date on them (usually a few weeks hence); after which, they become invalid - and are replaced by even higher denomination notes!
Reply 2
I feel sorry for the players. The whole tour is a joke. Our Governmnt and the ECB & ICC are gutless and spineless people.
Saree
the ECB & ICC are gutless and spineless people.

I think that's rather unfair: were the ECB to have pulled out of the tour, the economic repercussions would have been severe and longlasting. Alas, we have to accept the fact that sports authorities have their hands tied by commercial sponsorship - just ask Mr. Eriksson.
Reply 4
wouldnt have happened in colonial times :smile:
technik

Indeed. For there would have been old men with long beards, lackadaisically stroking balls around the park; sometimes for weeks on end.

Thankfully: we've moved on. :rolleyes:
technik

But we can all see that Colonialism was unjust and that to even imply that a cricket tour's success could be an argument in its favour is just a little bit silly. :smile:
Reply 7
africa's doing fine without us...

lol
technik

lol

Zimbabwe is IN Africa. :rolleyes:

And no - Africa's not doing particularly "fine" due to huge economic burdens placed on it by us.
Reply 9
englishstudent
Zimbabwe is IN Africa. :rolleyes:

i know. and it was exactly my point :smile:
technik
i know. and it was exactly my point :smile:

Good. :smile:
Reply 11
englishstudent
Good. :smile:

im quite good at geography and capital cities :smile:
technik
im quite good at geography and capital cities :smile:

*claps loudly*
technik

lol

its exactly this kind of superior attitude that makes the british one of the most hated nationalities when we go abroad :mad:
Reply 14
kidney thief
its exactly this kind of superior attitude that makes the british one of the most hated nationalities when we go abroad :mad:

i have south african friends with a similar outlook.

why? because they see the mess the african continent is getting into.

as for hate. it might be your brum accent :smile:
technik
i have south african friends with a similar outlook.

whoa, hold on there a sec- u have friends?!

technik
as for hate. it might be your brum accent :smile:

i dont have a brum accent :tongue:
is speading poisonous racial and cross-continental prejudice not enough for you that you have to start imposing your self-given superiority upon those living within this country too?
Reply 16
mobb_theprequel
I think that's rather unfair: were the ECB to have pulled out of the tour, the economic repercussions would have been severe and longlasting. Alas, we have to accept the fact that sports authorities have their hands tied by commercial sponsorship - just ask Mr. Eriksson.

I don't know if this is right, so correct me if I'm wrong but if England were told by the government that they were not allowed to tour, then the ECB wouldn’t be punished financially!?? :confused:
Reply 17
kidney thief

is speading poisonous racial and cross-continental prejudice not enough for you that you have to start imposing your self-given superiority upon those living within this country too?

pardon?

yes...zimbabwe is doing great. we'll just leave it be and watch it totally destroy itself incase we come across as racist.

click : spot the african countries?

and get a load of that "growth" rate in zimbabwe

wise up you clown.
actually i never said zimbabwe/africa is doing great. i agreed with englishstudent's point that its not doing great because "first world countries" screw them over through huge economic brudens/unfair trade practices.
your points are analogous to bombing someone's house and then saying "ha ha your're all poor and homeless, look how rich we are compared to you"
Reply 19
kidney thief
actually i never said zimbabwe/africa is doing great. i agreed with englishstudent's point that its not doing great because "first world countries" screw them over through huge economic brudens/unfair trade practices.
your points are analogous to bombing someone's house and then saying "ha ha your're all poor and homeless, look how rich we are compared to you"

i would explain it but its probably beyond your capabilities :biggrin:

/wonders if he'll fall into it

Latest

Trending

Trending