The Student Room Group

Sport at Oxbridge

Hi, I am keen to apply to Cambridge for biological sciences. I am thinking bout dropping further maths as this would give me more time for cricket. I want to study at Cambridge, and i know Further maths would increase my chances for this, but I am also very passionate about cricket. My question is, obviously just three A levels isn’t ideal, but do universities like cambridge like applicants playing sports, and is there any advantage to playing a sport in the application (i.e are they more likely to accept you if you have a sport than if you dont)? I also know there is a programme for cricketers within the uni called the MCCU, where you get to play to semi pro level at the uni, but this is something that you have to apply for after you get in, however would being a cricketer be helpful at all in an application?
You should be fine for biological natsci without further maths.
But cricket almost certainly won't improve your chances of getting into Cambridge. They care more about supercurriculars than extracurriculars, and while I haven't heard of MCCU it would most likely be something you apply for after you get in. That's not to say you shouldn't be doing the cricket, in fact I think it sounds great, but you shouldn't expect it to make a difference in the application.
Original post by Fermat42647
Hi, I am keen to apply to Cambridge for biological sciences. I am thinking bout dropping further maths as this would give me more time for cricket. I want to study at Cambridge, and i know Further maths would increase my chances for this, but I am also very passionate about cricket. My question is, obviously just three A levels isn’t ideal, but do universities like cambridge like applicants playing sports, and is there any advantage to playing a sport in the application (i.e are they more likely to accept you if you have a sport than if you dont)? I also know there is a programme for cricketers within the uni called the MCCU, where you get to play to semi pro level at the uni, but this is something that you have to apply for after you get in, however would being a cricketer be helpful at all in an application?

Your queries about further maths and Cambridge NatSci have been answered innumerable times. Dressing it up as a different query does not change the numerous answers you have received confirming already that not taking FM is not an issue. If you are unable to evaluate that new information and adjust your reasoning in view of it then your odds of getting into Cambridge are probably much worse on that basis rather than due to FM being taken or not, as that is something they will assess in interviews.

As has been discussed on here numerous times in the past, non-academic extracurriculars aren't likely to influence admissions decisions, as the admissions process is essentially purely focused on academic concerns. There are plenty of sporting opportunities available to Cambridge students once they do start but they are not admitted on the basis of their sporting ability normally.
I agree this could have been tacked on to an existing thread.

Cambs are really clear about this:

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/after/admissions-policy

"Detailed selection criteria vary from course to course but in all we’re looking for:

- academic ability and potential
- motivation and suitability for the chosen course
- commitment and self-discipline

Ultimately, all admissions decisions are based on academic criteria ability and potential and excellence in an extra-curricular activity will never ‘compensate’ for lower academic potential."

Imran Kahn, the ex-PM of Pakistan and ex-international cricketer for Pakistan was rejected following an interview at Emmanuel College Cambridge in about 1970. In his interview he said that he played "a bit of cricket", not mentioning that his cousin, Majid Khan, was at the time the captain of the Pakistan cricket team.
Original post by tiny hobbit
Imran Kahn, the ex-PM of Pakistan and ex-international cricketer for Pakistan was rejected following an interview at Emmanuel College Cambridge in about 1970. In his interview he said that he played "a bit of cricket", not mentioning that his cousin, Majid Khan, was at the time the captain of the Pakistan cricket team.

Why would his cousin have been relevant?
Reply 6

Being great a cricket would be about as useful for getting into Cambridge as saying that you can play the recorder, that you have a DoE bronze, or that you like going to the cinema! In other words it will make zero difference, and might even count against you if you spend too long writing about that in your personal statement (or whatever they change it to next year) rather than focusing on relevant academic/subject related things.

The MCCU has stopped. Otherwise, sporting ability is irrelevant.
Reply 8
Original post by threeportdrift
The MCCU has stopped. Otherwise, sporting ability is irrelevant.

What is the MCCU now then? Does a similar programme still run?
What is the MCCU now then? Does a similar programme still run?

I don't think so. The MCCUs were a scheme run by the MCC to try and bridge the gap between school and county cricket for those that wanted to go to Uni; there were 6 schemes across the country. I presume the MCC has run out of money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending