The Student Room Group

Oxford Application

I want to study Classics at the University of Oxford, and I saw that they have multiple courses for people who have studied and not studied Latin/Greek at Advanced Higher levels. My school doesn't offer those, so I can't study them. However, I have been teaching myself Latin and Greek for a few years and am now fluent. Would Oxford allow me to take the CAT test that tests you on Latin and Greek as well as the regular test for non speakers? Would I be allowed to study the course where you're required to know Greek and Latin regardless of the fact I haven't done real qualifications in it?
I don't know much about this, isn't there a different course for people who have not studied Latin or Greek? Sorry I can't be of more help but a huge good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Hey,

Don't worry, thanks for replying anyway!
Yeah, there is a separate course for non speakers but I'd much rather stay the course for fluent speakers.

Thanks.
Original post by Sara_M101
Hey,

Don't worry, thanks for replying anyway!
Yeah, there is a separate course for non speakers but I'd much rather stay the course for fluent speakers.

Thanks.

Strictly speaking no one now 'speaks' Latin and Ancient Greek so I'm not really sure what you mean by being 'fluent'. The CAT test that applicants take is in addition to the level 3 qualification (usually A level or Pre-U), not instead of. Your best option is the four year degree that is open to people who don't have the level 3 qualifications. Alternatively, you could see if you could enter for the A level or Pre-U exams as an external candidate at a school where this is offered. Good luck with it.
Get in touch with an admissions officer from the college you would like to apply to. You have fairly unique circumstances so it seems unlikely that anyone on here would have an adequate answer.
Original post by Sara_M101
I want to study Classics at the University of Oxford, and I saw that they have multiple courses for people who have studied and not studied Latin/Greek at Advanced Higher levels. My school doesn't offer those, so I can't study them. However, I have been teaching myself Latin and Greek for a few years and am now fluent. Would Oxford allow me to take the CAT test that tests you on Latin and Greek as well as the regular test for non speakers? Would I be allowed to study the course where you're required to know Greek and Latin regardless of the fact I haven't done real qualifications in it?

You can study Classics if your school offers neither Latin nor Greek (see link below)

https://www.classics.ox.ac.uk/classics

and you take a different admissions test from those who have already studied Greek and Latin

https://www.classics.ox.ac.uk/how-apply

Well done for teaching yourself Latin and Greek in your spare time. It will pay you dividends now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending