The Student Room Group

Should I apply to Oxford or Durham as my risky choice?

I have an A*AB predicted set of grades (History, English Lit and Philosophy in that order) and my current options are

University of Glasgow (AAB)
University of Warwick (AAB)
University of Bristol (possibly) (AAB)
University of Nottingham (Safe) (ABB)

I can either do early entry with A*AB or I could not do early entry and work on Philosophy to get an A*AA then apply for Durham. Both Durham and Oxford have AAA requirements for my chosen course, Classics/Classical Civilisations or Classical Archeology and Ancient History at Oxford.
Original post by StaticVoid!!
I have an A*AB predicted set of grades (History, English Lit and Philosophy in that order) and my current options are

I can either do early entry with A*AB or I could not do early entry and work on Philosophy to get an A*AA then apply for Durham. Both Durham and Oxford have AAA requirements for my chosen course, Classics/Classical Civilisations or Classical Archeology and Ancient History at Oxford.

Do a Google search to see if your preferred courses may have been in clearing at Durham this year (they had many courses available for the first time in ages).
Unfortunately, Oxford won’t consider the application with the B unless you fulfil the highest level of contextual criteria.
If you are contextual, it may also be worth looking at whether Oxford have Foundation courses for your subject area?
If not, imo, Durham would be the way to go, particularly if you are able to increase the predicted grade (they are still v competitive for initial application entry).
Good luck.
Original post by StaticVoid!!

Oxford applications include far more information for them to make decisions than just predicted grades.

If you would like to go to Oxford and think you’re capable of exceeding your predictions then apply to Oxford.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending