The Student Room Group

Having 1 'low' GCSE for applying to Oxford

If I were to say get:

Would I be disadvantaged when applying to Oxford if despite getting 10 grade 9s I get 1 grade 5 in GCSE French?

It's probably worth noting that 1 of those 9s would be a foreign language just simply not an MFL one and I intend to do physics in particular at Oxford
Original post by Alireza2060
If I were to say get:
Would I be disadvantaged when applying to Oxford if despite getting 10 grade 9s I get 1 grade 5 in GCSE French?
It's probably worth noting that 1 of those 9s would be a foreign language just simply not an MFL one and I intend to do physics in particular at Oxford

Since you said ‘If I were to get’, there is no point worrying about it now. This is a discussion to have when you have your GCSE results.
Reply 2
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Since you said ‘If I were to get’, there is no point worrying about it now. This is a discussion to have when you have your GCSE results.

True and I do very much agree however my issue is that my teacher is placing me in the Foundation tier for French and despite trying to convince them they seemed not to budge so the most I can reach with that is a 5
True and I do very much agree however my issue is that my teacher is placing me in the Foundation tier for French and despite trying to convince them they seemed not to budge so the most I can reach with that is a 5
Make sure you get put on higher tier. Be more insistent.
Reply 4
Original post by Felynalanine
Make sure you get put on higher tier. Be more insistent.

Would I be at a significant disadvantage if I'm still taken to foundation? Most people in my school do 10 GCSEs and I do an extra one being another language (not MFL) so I assumed it would in a sense make up for it if all else goes wrong
Would I be at a significant disadvantage if I'm still taken to foundation? Most people in my school do 10 GCSEs and I do an extra one being another language (not MFL) so I assumed it would in a sense make up for it if all else goes wrong

If it is causing that much angst, and if its additional, you may as well drop French now if they won't let you do higher tier.
If a hypothetical Physics tutor at a hypothetical Oxford college were to be looking at the hypothetical application of a hypothetical student who has a hypothetical nine GCSEs at grade nine, and one hypothetical GCSE at grade five in French, and who has otherwise (hypothetically) presented a strong application, that hypothetical tutor might well (hypothetically) say "this hypothetical student had a hypothetical bad day at the office, but let's still interview him/her".

TL/DR? The presence of one five amidst a sea of nines would not be a hypothetical deal breaker.

The hypothetical French tutor at the very same hypothetical Oxford college might say (en manière hypothétique) "Vous plaisantez, n'est-ce pas ? Aller se faire cuire un œuf!"; but you would not be applying to study French, so who cares what that hypothetical croissant-botherer thinks?

But, as suggested above, why not bin French if you are not making progress? Or (no joke) go and live in deep rural France for a month - the best way to learn any language is by speaking it. Better still, go and live in North or West Africa for a month. African people in "La Francophonie" speak clearer and more grammatically correct French than many Parisians do.

I add to what a previous poster said (and this is a lesson for all of life) - worry about problems when they become real, or imminently real. Don't worry about problems that have not yet materialised, and might never materialise.

Bonne chance, et vive le sport!

Mademoiselle S Byng MA (Oxon), Avocate au Barreau de Londres.
(edited 1 month ago)
If I were to say get:

Can't you enter for Higher tier as a Private Candidate at another school or Sixth Form College? :s-smilie: Or perhaps even retake it next year?
Reply 8
Original post by thegeek888
Can't you enter for Higher tier as a Private Candidate at another school or Sixth Form College? :s-smilie: Or perhaps even retake it next year?

I don't know, from what others have told me here it just seems too much effort in trying further as it's not like it'd significantly impact a future Oxford application of mine; besides I'm also doing an additional language which can kind of replace the impact of French.
Reply 9
It’ll make 0 difference. Forget about it. 👍
In your position I’d drop French if they won’t move you to a higher tier. You have enough other GCSEs so you don’t need it. If you are capped at a 5 it won’t make a positive difference to an application and it may make a negative one - not having it at all means not having that risk.
Original post by thegeek888

No, you can't do that.
Oxford's policy towards GCSE's is explained here:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/admission-requirements/uk-qualifications

Relevant bit (emphasis mine)

"GCSEs will be taken into account when we consider your application but they are just one aspect that we look at. GCSE results will be considered alongside your personal statement, academic reference, predicted grades and performance in any written work or written test required for your course.

If you are shortlisted, your performance in interviews will also be taken into account.

Higher grades at GCSE can help to make your application more competitive, and successful applicants typically have a high proportion of 7,8 and 9 grades. However, we do look at GCSE grades in context."

So hypothetically if our thread starter achieved 99999999995, we could say that they had a high proportion of grades 7-9 and are likely to be fairly considered.
Reply 13
They look at your GCSEs relative to the rest of your year group, but you can’t really get much higher than those grades. Maybe if you wanted to study French it would be an issue but you’re fine. Those grades are remarkable.
Reply 14
If I were to say get:

I'd drop it if I were you. Most applicants will only have 9 or 10 GCSE, so having 11 will add nothing, and although having one 5 will almost certainly make little/no difference to your application, it will be annoying having to explain it to people.
If I were to say get:

I wouldn't worry, Oxford look at number of A*s (8/9s) not particularly your GCSEs as a whole. Your grades are excellent, try not to stress.
Hey!

I studied Russian and Spanish at Oxford so maybe not completely relevant, but honestly I really can't imagine this would have any impact on your application, even if you got a 5. Oxford really only care about whether you are competent in the subject that you are applying to study. They don't care much about your extra-curricular activities, sports, instruments you play, and irrelevant subjects - they just care about whether you love the subject you're applying for and whether you are good at it. That's it. Sure, they also want to see that you are academically competent, but one bad grade amongst your other stellar ones will not, as far as I understand it, significantly impact their decision.

I would, however, recommend getting involved in as many physics-related activities/opportunities as you can - this demonstrates your enthusiasm for the subject and your independent drive to study it beyond the school curriculum. Obviously I'm a linguist so I don't know specifically what opportunities there are, but I'm sure there are many so it's definitely worth a Google search!

Best of luck with your application 🙂
If I were to say get:

Depends on the course, for physics I gather it's a non-factor. As I understand things like physics, maths, CS, materials science and similar tend to not focus so much on GCSEs at Oxford.

It would possibly be more of a factor for e.g. medicine or E&M or something.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending