The Student Room Group

Is my uni application strong and what do I need to work on?

I want to apply to the following schools with the A-level grades A*A*B + GCSE grades 55544:
- Oxford Law
- LSE Law
- Leicester Law
- SOAS Law
- Buckingham Law

Haven't done LNAT but I did a practice test and on the MCQ section I got 27/42.
What part of my application will I need to bump up?
Original post by emiratesforlife
I want to apply to the following schools with the A-level grades A*A*B + GCSE grades 55544:
- Oxford Law
- LSE Law
- Leicester Law
- SOAS Law
- Buckingham Law

Hi @emiratesforlife

Glad to see you're considering University of Leicester.

Your grades match the entry requirements for Law! Also we do not require applicants to have taken the National Admissions Test for Law. We are not convinced that LNAT scores provide any information that we cannot get from your exam grades, personal statement and school reference.

So, I would say you have a great chance at getting accepted 🙂

Good luck on your application!
Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sumayyah
Psychology with Cognitive Neuroscience Student
Are you contextual? Are your grades predicted or achieved?
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 3
- Oxford Law
- LSE Law
- Leicester Law
- SOAS Law
- Buckingham Law

You’d need A*AA for LSE
Reply 4
- Oxford Law
- LSE Law
- Leicester Law
- SOAS Law
- Buckingham Law

Oxford usually requires AAA for Law, though for 2024 entry you would have already had to apply (and have taken the LNAT), so presumably this is for next application cycle?

27/42 is reassuring for a first attempt if this was the sample test on lnat.ac.uk, though there are lots of threads about LNAT already on TSA, and remember that the essay is at least equally as important.
Original post by beniibobs
Oxford usually requires AAA for Law, though for 2024 entry you would have already had to apply (and have taken the LNAT), so presumably this is for next application cycle?

27/42 is reassuring for a first attempt if this was the sample test on lnat.ac.uk, though there are lots of threads about LNAT already on TSA, and remember that the essay is at least equally as important.

Next application cycle, yes
Oxford needs AAA and places much emphasis on GCSE grades, and you have a B. LSE needs A*AA. Can you get the B bumped up to A? The B and GCSEs will make your whole profile less competitive, which can't be compensated for even by a spectacular performance on the LNAT.
Original post by 5starmichelin
Oxford needs AAA and places much emphasis on GCSE grades, and you have a B. LSE needs A*AA. Can you get the B bumped up to A? The B and GCSEs will make your whole profile less competitive, which can't be compensated for even by a spectacular performance on the LNAT.

I can try to change the B to an A. GCSEs, can't do much ab them unf.
Reply 8
I can try to change the B to an A. GCSEs, can't do much ab them unf.

You've got plenty of time to increase your predicted grades, bearing in mind that schools' UCAS predicted grades are often optimistic. The GCSEs will be contextualized by Oxford by considering what school (if any) they were from. They essentially rank them based on how good they were in comparison to the school's average.

Oxford takes GCSEs, LNAT score, LNAT essay, personal statement, references, predicted grades, and interview all into account. Last year, GCSEs from offer holders ranged from one 6 to fourteen 9s (https://www.some.ox.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/Law-Report-on-the-2022-Admissions-Round-final.pdf). So the GCSEs don't necessarily sink you, but the rest of the application needs to be as good as possible. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending