The Student Room Group

'Official' Spelling or 'Real' Spelling of Name on CV and Linkedin

Right so... My 'official' name is spelt wrong on my birth certificate (and therefore every other piece of official documentation) because my dad left a letter out when submitting it. I go spelling-wise by the way it should be spelt with an additional 'A'.

On my CV and Linkedin for applying for jobs, do I put the official spelling or real spelling of my name?

Thank you x
Reply 1
Personally I would use what's on your birth certificate. Can I ask what your name is and what the spelling error is?
Original post by TheBritishKoala
Right so... My 'official' name is spelt wrong on my birth certificate (and therefore every other piece of official documentation) because my dad left a letter out when submitting it. I go spelling-wise by the way it should be spelt with an additional 'A'.

On my CV and Linkedin for applying for jobs, do I put the official spelling or real spelling of my name?

Thank you x

For things like LinkedIn and your CV, and generally, your real name would be best. The only time you might potentially need to use the spelling from your birth certificate is for pay/tax purposes, but even then it would be best to just stick with your real name and change it if anyone raises it as an issue.
Reply 3
You can't use deed poll to fix that mistake?
Original post by Tinders
Personally I would use what's on your birth certificate. Can I ask what your name is and what the spelling error is?

My name on the birth Certificate is Retha, but is meant to be spelt Reatha (with the additional A).

It affects the pronunciation as its pronounce like re-A-tah in conversation rather than just re-th-ah.
Original post by Bio 7
You can't use deed poll to fix that mistake?

Don't you need to do it with the registry office to make it official?
Reply 6
Original post by TheBritishKoala
Don't you need to do it with the registry office to make it official?

https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll

Seems like less hassle than dealing with a wrong spelling forever

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending