The Student Room Group

Which uni should I go to?

Okay so I didn't get in to my firm because it was a Russel group and had really high entry requirements so I got into my backup which was London met but my friend has been saying that it is such a bad uni and I shouldn't go there for like the entire year and her thoughts have kinda got to my head so I was originally okay with London met a few months ago but now I'm not. I got into Brunel through clearing and it does seem like a better university but it takes 1:30/45 to get there since I plan to live at home but London met it literally 25 minutes away from my house. So is 1:30/45 too long of a commute, would it be worth it? Or should I just go to London met seeing as it's closer?
Original post by Anonymous
Okay so I didn't get in to my firm because it was a Russel group and had really high entry requirements so I got into my backup which was London met but my friend has been saying that it is such a bad uni and I shouldn't go there for like the entire year and her thoughts have kinda got to my head so I was originally okay with London met a few months ago but now I'm not. I got into Brunel through clearing and it does seem like a better university but it takes 1:30/45 to get there since I plan to live at home but London met it literally 25 minutes away from my house. So is 1:30/45 too long of a commute, would it be worth it? Or should I just go to London met seeing as it's closer?

I don't think I've heard of any special reputation tied to Brunel and I live like 10 minutes away from it. Tbh, I'd go for London Met if it's closer.
Hiya 👋

If you're planning on staying at home, I'd suggest a uni with the shortest commute from your house.

Morning commutes are rough and depending on what you're studying, you may have some days when you're only in for a couple of hours and other days may be a full day of studies, so adding about 3-4 hours of travel time per day, it will get exhausting pretty quickly.

Does your friend go to London Met, is that why they're saying its a bad uni? Or is it just something that they've heard? Ultimately this is your decision and is going to need to be something you're happy doing for at least the next 3 years.

Uni rankings are largely irrelevant as they don't give you a good indication of the quality of teaching for individual courses and as far as your cv is concerned, future employers care more about your grade than about where you went to uni. Better to get a first from a 'lower ranking' uni than potentially a 2.2 from a Russell group or higher ranked uni.

Think about what you want from the uni experience and it's important to balance social and studies as well as saving money if you can. What are the facilities and societies and clubs etc like at each of the unis you're considering? Have you visited on an open day and spoken to current students about their experiences?

Good luck making your choice, and have a great rest of the summer!

Best wishes,
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous

i wouldn't go to either uni. take a gap year.
Reply 4
Why can nobody spell 'Russell'?!

Don't go just for the sake of it. If you have higher aspirations, take Rolling Stone's advice
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Thanks I'll not take a gap year because I'm definitely going to university, I'm just worried if London Mets reputation is still the same and apparently it's know for taking in more 'disadvantaged' teens whatever that means but does that mean that all the people that go there will act like that or will there be a variety? I don't want to be the only one with my kind of personality
Original post by gjd800
Why can nobody spell 'Russell'?!

Don't go just for the sake of it. If you have higher aspirations, take Rolling Stone's advice

lol literally every post ever spells it with one L
Original post by A Rolling Stone
lol literally every post ever spells it with one L

I just realised that I'd been spelling it with one "s" this whole time lol.
Reply 8
Which course are you planning to study and what were your a level grades?

As above - I suspect that a year out would be advisable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending