The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

jjbristol
i waited in the queue to have the book stamped a security bloke approached me and goes ''empty your pockets, lad'' so i did. Nothing dodgy in there. Then he goes ''i'll have to ask you to leave, there's been a complaint'' and he proceeds to point at a gaggle of old women who then approach me and say that it is not right for a teenager to be in an adult library and that i made them feel uncomfortable. Then i explained i was only withdrawing the book for oxbridge and that i meant no harm and one of the old ladies goes ''young people today don't go to oxbridge''

That made my jaw drop.

No problems like yours come to mind where someone does something ageist. There have been a few schemes in my area though. I'm not sure if it's still active but in the past the police could break up any groups of 3 youths or more as people found it intimidating (even if we were just sitting, talking)

I do remember this one man on the bus though, some girls behind had some bottles in their bag and they were clinking as the bus moved over bumps, remember him mumbling to himself "bloody bottles they should shut them up the bloody tarts" and all that business.

I was like ;o.
Reply 61
jjbristol
I suspect you have, like me, all experienced it at least once (probably more). Does it make you laugh, upset you or make you more determined? I have to give this example, it happened only last friday. I went into the library to take out the General theory by John Maynard Keynes to prepare for a possible oxbrige interview (fingers crossed hey :s-smilie: ) and as i waited in the queue to have the book stamped a security bloke approached me and goes ''empty your pockets, lad'' so i did. Nothing dodgy in there. Then he goes ''i'll have to ask you to leave, there's been a complaint'' and he proceeds to point at a gaggle of old women who then approach me and say that it is not right for a teenager to be in an adult library and that i made them feel uncomfortable. Then i explained i was only withdrawing the book for oxbridge and that i meant no harm and one of the old ladies goes ''young people today don't go to oxbridge'' LMFAO. In this time a large crowd of thunder faced old and middle aged people had gathered around me to point and stare :eek:

So, how have things got so bad that now even a respectable looking young gentleman such as myself standing patiently in a queue with a copy of the greatest economic work ever written can be accused of looking dodgy???

I get dirty looks all the time from oldies as i suppose all teenagers do (i mean how dare we be so youthful and have such long futures ahead :biggrin: ) but never anything like that before. What a joke

ANyway enough of me have any of you guys experienced such nonsense? :smile:

Best guess: you look really ghetto ?
Reply 62
Jacinta
That's disgraceful, thankfully I wear a suit to work so I don't tend to get many funny looks from old people these days, however when I used to work in the checkouts at Wilkinsons I seemed to get abused daily!
Once there was this old prune of a man and his wife who came to my till, and I tried to be chatty, talking to them etc and he just did that 'noise' that you do to stop someone talking and started ranting on at me about how he 'doesn't listen to young people because they have nothing of value to say at all' and how 'I should be seen and not heard' while his sour faced old cow of a wife made those silly little agreeing noises that would be better suited to a school playground. All I got was a steely, elitist stare from them when I gave this decrepid couple thier change and packed thier bags for them - manners indeed!
What made me laugh was that they were a 'mock posh' old couple, and they were shopping in Wilkinsons...idiots.

Argh it makes me so mad!

I HATE mock posh people. I deal with it like this: Basically i went to a private school on a scholarship (couldn't afford the fees but was bright enough to get in free) so whilst not posh myself i've known enough ''rich'' people to be able to see through any mrs bucket wannabe. SO when i get a rude mock posh person (they're often polite enough) i'll say ''listen mrs bucket, i've been to private school, i know how real posh people behave and it aint like that! now piss off!!!!!'' lol.

I wouldn't do that anymore but i have done it before. thing is it made me feel dirty for lowering myself to their level. I know what you mean by the ''agreeing noise'' that old ladies do it's like they can't think for themselves.

most old people are cool though. the rude ones are the reflection of what the chavs of our generation will be like when they are old. every generation has it's idiots :smile:
Reply 63
Johan C
Best guess: you look really ghetto ?

lmao. No i'm white, 6 foot tall, spiky highlighted blond hair, was wearing a khaki t shirt under an unzipped tan leather jacket and jeans and trainers.

i know i sounds really gay, but i do not look ghetto :biggrin:

I think the stereotypes of the young actually transcend fashion sense these days. When i eat out with my gf sometimes i'll wear a suit (i only have one, it is a gucci suit my uncle got me before he died :frown: and although i am certainly not it makes me look like a billionaire :yep: ). guess what? I have even been asked to leave a restaurant in that suit and i am not kidding. Maybe the old people round my way are really evil? I've never known a knife carrying chav to wear a gucci suit but then maybe they though i was a cocaine dealer?!?!?!
jjbristol
lmao. No i'm white, 6 foot tall, spiky highlighted blond hair, was wearing a khaki t shirt under an unzipped tan leather jacket and jeans and trainers.

i know i sounds really gay, but i do not look ghetto :biggrin:

I think the stereotypes of the young actually transcend fashion sense these days. When i eat out with my gf sometimes i'll wear a suit (i only have one, it is a gucci suit my uncle got me before he died :frown: and although i am certainly not it makes me look like a billionaire :yep: ). guess what? I have even been asked to leave a restaurant in that suit and i am not kidding. Maybe the old people round my way are really evil? I've never known a knife carrying chav to wear a gucci suit but then maybe they though i was a cocaine dealer?!?!?!

Suits are the mark of the professional, and they also look tidy and smart. No matter how smart you (as a male) try to dress, chances are you'll look even smarter in a well-cut suit. It's the clothing the old biddies are intimidated by the most. Imagine a chav in a tracksuit and then imagine him in a proper suit. Which is more threatening?
Reply 65
Crimson Black
Suits are the mark of the professional, and they also look tidy and smart. No matter how smart you (as a male) try to dress, chances are you'll look even smarter in a well-cut suit. It's the clothing the old biddies are intimidated by the most. Imagine a chav in a tracksuit and then imagine him in a proper suit. Which is more threatening?

I suppose. But isn't it ironic? On the one hand we are told that we are a scruffy generation who take no pride in anything and on the other hand when we do take high pride in ourselves we're told it's too much!

I believe it is because some older people are jealous of us. Groups who are subject of envy can never do right for doing wrong. They face constant criticism. Just look at the attitude many have to rich people: If they keep their money like misers then they are ''greedy'' and if they give to a worthy cause they are ''doing it for their own satisfaction and ego'' (Read the reviews to secret millionaire). This is because rich people are envied so intensely (people cut their nose of to spite their face to get even with rich people). Young people are treated in a similar fashion by the media and by old people (in the way the rich are treated by the poor) to how the rich are treated which leads me to believe that there is an underlying envy of youth responsible for the irrational criticism and fear most of us have faced
Young people are so stereotyped these days that they give A*s away for being original in creative subjects/essays! :^_^:

>>>>>ME<<<<<
Reply 67
Ramadulla
Young people are so stereotyped these days that they give A*s away for being original in creative subjects/essays! :^_^:

>>>>>ME<<<<<

i give your avatar an A* :biggrin:
Crimson Black

See my post earlier. But it's still not always true - I was 'young person stereotyped' and I dress like a 1920's university lecturer.
History Lost in Physics
See my post earlier. But it's still not always true - I was 'young person stereotyped' and I dress like a 1920's university lecturer.

Most likely because you smelled of chemistry lab and DIY bombmaking. :p:
Crimson Black
Most likely because you smelled of chemistry lab and DIY bombmaking.
:p:

Have to say I didn't think of that! :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending