The Student Room Group

Prejudice against using one’s own car for a driving test

I failed 2 driving test. my last driving was test at Nelson. Although I had improved from my 1st test where I had 4 major faults and 19 minor fault to 2 majors and 4 faults, I met a lady there who was also failed using her own car.
She then proceeded to say the other candidates who did their tests with a driving school/instructor, who had arrived before me all passed. We, the only two who weren’t residents of Nelson and came underwent our test with our own cars failed. Indont know about who and who passed but I know we both failed.
She mentioned that the stacks are already against you when you come from another region/ area and/or use your own/friends vehicle.
She said “they don’t like that cos, it’s an industry and when you don’t use driving instructors they don’t make money”.
I‘ve rebooked and the nearest I could find was Sept . I intend using a friends car as I did in my last test. I just wanted to ask if there’s any knows of what the lady acclaimed is true about a prejudice against candidates who take their test in their personal car/friends so i don’t make the same mistake twice.

Thanks as I await y’all contributions
This is a very small sample size to assume you got failed because you brought your own car. There could be any number of reasons as to why you both failed. Or it could be coincidence. Or they may just have been better drivers, regardless of the car. Or they may have been taught better as they had an instructor.
Reply 2
Original post by Emmmaaaa...
This is a very small sample size to assume you got failed because you brought your own car. There could be any number of reasons as to why you both failed. Or it could be coincidence. Or they may just have been better drivers, regardless of the car. Or they may have been taught better as they had an instructor.

thank you Emma. that was insightful.
The examiners and instructors are not in the same job and do not have the same employer, it's not really in their interests to mistreat people as a result.

Without being rude, I think you need to focus on the serious errors, do you think any of them were genuinely unjustified?
Reply 4
Hello,

you weren't rude at all and Thank you for your comment.
I believe 1 of them was but I did deserve the others, it’s the minor errors I believe were unjustified.
nevertheless I've moved on and focusing on my next driving test.
Original post by StriderHort
The examiners and instructors are not in the same job and do not have the same employer, it's not really in their interests to mistreat people as a result.

Without being rude, I think you need to focus on the serious errors, do you think any of them were genuinely unjustified?
Original post by Ikechukwu_Md
Hello,

you weren't rude at all and Thank you for your comment.
I believe 1 of them was but I did deserve the others, it’s the minor errors I believe were unjustified.
nevertheless I've moved on and focusing on my next driving test.

Good, moving on and booking another to work toward is always the best step.

The minors can build up quick if you've got into some lazy/bad habits or a misunderstanding over what's expected.

My first test I drove great, 2 minors till the last few mins where I blew it by missing traffic lights on a roundabout, my 2nd test I failed far worse on all counts and even on my 3rd/pass I almost failed on minors - I kept taking my right turns too tight and the examiner said I had borderline done it like 5-6+ times.
Reply 6
"I didn't fail because my driving isn't up to scratch."

No. Just like the idiots yapping on about quotas, you failed because you're not up to standard. That's all there is to it.

Also, just like those quotas touters, you'll conveniently forget that, when you pass your test, it's because you met these imaginary requirements you think they have, not because you can actually drive.

In short, it's all bs. Just people looking for excuses.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 7
Having taken various friends and relatives to driving tests in non driving school cars most have passed, and only a couple have failed (amber light on dash) & cumulative minors. I have found most examiners to be very straightforward and very fair.

If you don't have any input from a driving instructor you could potentially be approaching some junctions in an unsafe manner and not realise it. The examiner should be able to sit through the test and feel safe (& legal) If you are a loose cannon and drive with excessive risky behaviour you are never going to pass.
Reply 8
this was so helpful.. drive safely and take precautions repeatedly. Got it.
thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending