The Student Room Group

Tips pwease 🥺🥺🥺

Best revision strategies for English lit & Lang
For English lit I did this: (do you think it’s effective)
BF87BC7D-50E9-4C15-BDFC-E048BE9D5E34.jpg.jpeg
But I don’t fill the boxes with TONS of info
Well for English lit I make character profiles and notes on the main themes in the books with quotes and techniques. For English Lang I just go over the structure of different questions and different writing techniques. :biggrin:

Are you in Year 10?
Reply 2
If this is for GCSE then I made chapter summaries for GCSE English Lit, and made flashcards for themes and characters. Summary mind-maps are good as are timelines of events in the play. For English Language the only real preparation that you can do is past papers and questions. Reading a wide range of books and articles helps, if you struggle to get the right tone for an article or speech then you should find examples online, reading the BBC news, the Guardian and the Times will help with that. Also, just planning practice answers should help you out, but writing out full answers can really help to get the timings right! Hope some of that helped, I always got good mocks grades. If you do any of the same texts as me then I'm happy to send you anything!
Reply 3
Original post by SuperiorPotato
Well for English lit I make character profiles and notes on the main themes in the books with quotes and techniques. For English Lang I just go over the structure of different questions and different writing techniques. :biggrin:

Are you in Year 10?

Yeah :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by belle.c
If this is for GCSE then I made chapter summaries for GCSE English Lit, and made flashcards for themes and characters. Summary mind-maps are good as are timelines of events in the play. For English Language the only real preparation that you can do is past papers and questions. Reading a wide range of books and articles helps, if you struggle to get the right tone for an article or speech then you should find examples online, reading the BBC news, the Guardian and the Times will help with that. Also, just planning practice answers should help you out, but writing out full answers can really help to get the timings right! Hope some of that helped, I always got good mocks grades. If you do any of the same texts as me then I'm happy to send you anything!

Oh thank you!
English lit: for revising characters I made flashcards with techniques and quotes, then I linked them to different themes. After I had gotten used to the structure for answering questions I made sure to do lots of practise questions on different characters and themes. For revising poems I made a table in which I wrote out different themes and split the techniques (sound, sight etc.) used in the poems, and then I made a separate table in which I wrote out the themes, then listed the poems that used each theme and could be used together for the comparison question. I found practise questions very helpful, especially for the unseen poetry so that you are able to incorporate all your knowledge and the information you want to include in your answer in the time given.

English lang: I made sure I knew how to use the structure for answering each question (how many paragraphs and what each one should include to receive all the marks available for the question) and practised doing descriptive and narrative writing as well as writing for different audiences. I cannot stress how important it is to do past papers, especially timed ones as your exams get nearer as it is often a couple of minutes that can change your grade. This is also a suggestion, but when doing a practise paper try to do section B on it first, and then completing section A, this doesn't work for everyone but it worked for me and helped me collect as many marks as possible.

If you have any other questions I will be happy to answer them and help as much as I can :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending