The Student Room Group

Oxford Maths Interview

I am applying for Maths at oxford and I take both maths and further maths a level. I wanted to know about the content that comes in the interview. will it be from both my maths and further maths a level course or just my maths?

thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mathkitty
I am applying for Maths at oxford and I take both maths and further maths a level. I wanted to know about the content that comes in the interview. will it be from both my maths and further maths a level course or just my maths?

thanks

It may well start on weak areas in the MAT but they will push you anywhere - they want to see how you think and whether the system at Oxford will suit you. Presumably your school will give you practice?
Reply 2
yes they do. but does that mean I should be revising my further maths course as well?
yes they do. but does that mean I should be revising my further maths course as well?

Yes of course :smile:
Reply 4

I think focusing on MAT preparation would be a best priority at the moment - unless you feel you've done plenty of that already. Interview questions are unlikely to ask questions that someone can do easily with further maths techniques, but someone without further maths (or who's yet to meet those techniques within FM) would struggle with. That would make for an unfair question.
Original post by RichE
I think focusing on MAT preparation would be a best priority at the moment - unless you feel you've done plenty of that already. Interview questions are unlikely to ask questions that someone can do easily with further maths techniques, but someone without further maths (or who's yet to meet those techniques within FM) would struggle with. That would make for an unfair question.

That's a bit misleading - they push you to your limit and they will know roughly how much you've covered.
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
That's a bit misleading - they push you to your limit and they will know roughly how much you've covered.

"They" push you to your limit using questions avoiding too much knowledge content, but having considerable internal complexity, as the questions need to be suitable for a range of students who've studied different curricula. If a student uses a bit of FM then an interview may follow that direction, but there won't be general presumption of such knowledge.

Yes but further maths content is rarely asked. They can push you without using further maths techniques.

I applied on a gap year, and still the questions I got asked never asked for any further maths, even though they pushed me a lot.
Original post by RichE
"They" push you to your limit using questions avoiding too much knowledge content, but having considerable internal complexity, as the questions need to be suitable for a range of students who've studied different curricula. If a student uses a bit of FM then an interview may follow that direction, but there won't be general presumption of such knowledge.

But all UK applicants will be studying FM ... I've known questions heading there.
Reply 9
But all UK applicants will be studying FM ... I've known questions heading there.

Most, not all will, and then there are plenty of non-UK applicants. And in my previous post I didn't exclude the possibility some FM would come up.
Original post by Rohan77642
Yes but further maths content is rarely asked. They can push you without using further maths techniques.

I applied on a gap year, and still the questions I got asked never asked for any further maths, even though they pushed me a lot.

Define 'rarely' ... they are asked.
Define 'rarely' ... they are asked.

I think I shouldn't have said that because I am talking from a very small sample size.

I guess what I meant, in my interview, they didn't ask anything needing further maths, and my friends also weren't asked any FM content.

But I don't know if other colleges are operating differently. Hard for me to know. I would assume not because the interview questions should not be drastically different from college to college, but again I don't have evidence for that.

thanks

It is against TSR rules to give out questions from university interviews, so you will not get actual questions on here.

However one thing I must say, yes, know your maths inside out, but they will ask you completely new questions, which you will not have studied at school, to make you think critically. An Oxford interview is not something that you can really prepare for, but something you need to be able to cope with whilst you are in the interview room.

Here's a general idea, though, by Darth Caedus, an Oxford maths offer holder...

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6465960&p=88358268#post88358268
Original post by RichE

True - it has to be fair to everyone.
Original post by Oxford Mum
It is against TSR rules to give out questions from university interviews, so you will not get actual questions on here.

However one thing I must say, yes, know your maths inside out, but they will ask you completely new questions, which you will not have studied at school, to make you think critically. An Oxford interview is not something that you can really prepare for, but something you need to be able to cope with whilst you are in the interview room.

Of course you can prepare! We've already started with our potential candidates asking them 'interesting' questions - it's part of outstanding teaching.
Original post by Oxford Mum
True - it has to be fair to everyone.

Everyone in the UK can study F Maths - there is no requirement for all candidates to be asked the same questions.
Good call, mnot

thanks

I was asked several questions requiring FM knowledge (although this could have been because I already did it by then, but some of my friends also were). But when you apply to Oxbridge, for Cambridge at least, you are to outline what topics you've done if I recall correctly and they usually ask from these. I doubt they will ask questions requiring topics you are yet to study (or at least, they'd introduce it to you and explain it) but it's best to go over what you've covered at school and ensure you learn it well and maybe learn some stuff ahead (calculus is really useful alongside trig and complex numbers and some probability/statistics knowledge).
Reply 19
Original post by thekidwhogames
I was asked several questions requiring FM knowledge (although this could have been because I already did it by then, but some of my friends also were). But when you apply to Oxbridge, for Cambridge at least, you are to outline what topics you've done if I recall correctly and they usually ask from these. I doubt they will ask questions requiring topics you are yet to study (or at least, they'd introduce it to you and explain it) but it's best to go over what you've covered at school and ensure you learn it well and maybe learn some stuff ahead (calculus is really useful alongside trig and complex numbers and some probability/statistics knowledge).

But this thread's about Oxford maths interviews, so there really isn't a stage where "you are to outline what topics you've done"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending