The Student Room Group

Oxford chemistry offer holders thread

This is a thread for those who have been lucky enough to be given an offer to study chemistry at Oxford.

Feel free to share which college you have been accepted by and which A levels you are taking or just discuss anything really chemistry/oxford related.

As a polite reminder, it is against TSR rules to share off-site contact details, so please do not.

Furthermore, I would advise that details of your interviews are not shared as per the code of conduct as your offers may be withdrawn.

Spoiler

(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello!
I am Coby and I am from Hong Kong. I have applied and received an offer from Wadham college!
My favourite area of chemistry is definitely organic especially with the synthesis. I hope to research on novel methodologies that can act as alternative pathways of synthesis for pharmaceuticals in the future, to lower their price and increase their accessibility to people in need.
Hope to see you all in Oxford! : )
Hey, I’m Freja!
I’m from the England, currently studying A-Levels in Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics. I applied to and received an offer from Keble college.
I love all aspects of Chemistry, however Physical is the branch I am most passionate about (confusing given my A-Levels I know). I’m not sure what I want to do in the future, most likely research but lecturing also seems like something I’d really enjoy!
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi!! I'm Natalie and I'm from South London and I'm doing A levels in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and English Literature.
My offer is Chemistry at Magdalen!! I'd say my favourite area of chemistry is the physical side of it, particularly quantum mechanics/ field theory as well as particle physics. Going away from the theoretical side, I'm also really into applications of chemistry. I did a project at Surrey uni looking at how Silicon 28 could be used to make quantum computer qubits, and I'd say it really sparked my interest in that kind of field. My EPQ was on using certain gases to terraform Mars, and idk i don't want this to sound like my ps lmao but it was really fun to research.

I don't know what i want to do in the future but the oxford course having a good blend of chem, physics, maths, practical work, research and a bit of coding means options are probably open. Outside of studying I love acting, piano, tennis and music in general (fav artists are Matt Maltese, Adam melchor, Phoebe bridgers and Gregory alan isakov)

Can't wait to hopefully meet you all at oxford!!!
I realise I perhaps should have introduced myself a little sooner.

I’m TypicalNerd (I’m remaining anonymous, as I may or may not be thinking about joining the assassin’s guild). I’m from Suffolk and have completed A levels in chemistry, physics and maths. I’m on a gap year and doing AS biology and A level further maths.

My offer is an open offer (underwritten by The Queen’s College), meaning that in theory, I could end up in just about any college in Oxford that offers chemistry.

My personal favourite field of chemistry is inorganic chemistry, which is criminally underrated imo. I hope to go into research and help advance catalyst development. Outside of study, I play chess (even though I’m not great at it) and enjoy a good bottle of wine every once in a while.

I look forward to meeting you lot at Oxford.
Hi everyone!

I'm from Singapore and my offer is from Trinity college.

Unfortunately I won't be in the same year as you guys, as I'm deferring my offer for two years to complete my national service.

When I reach, I'll see you guys around as 3rd years haha
Reply 6
Hi guys! I’m Samri and I have an offer from Wadham! I’m from London and do chemistry, physics and maths. I love organic chemistry (mechanisms <3) but honestly chem is such a cool subject as a whole.

I hope to see you all this October!
I’m Ed, I’m from Cambridge, I applied to and have an offer from Queen’s.

More interested in the physical/theoretical/quantum chemistry side of chem over the more biological/organic etc. side but am excited for both 😁😁

I do chem, maths, further maths and history right now, currently struggling through history and tbh just want to fast-forward through A Levels and start the degree already 😭

Can’t wait to meet you all next October!
(edited 1 year ago)
Out of curiosity, has anyone else here got an invite to the chemA*stery programme?

The email I received seems pretty legit and outlines the following aims of the programme:

-help you learn to tackle exam questions.
-help you improve your understanding of various topics (presumably at an A level standard).
-let you get to know other offer holders for chemistry.
-prepare you for tutorials.

I’m debating as to whether I should apply or not, since I’ve already completed my A levels, but at the same time it may help keep my knowledge of chemistry alive and establishing a peer-support network before starting may be a good idea.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by TypicalNerd
Out of curiosity, has anyone else here got an invite to the chemA*stery programme?

The email I received seems pretty legit and outlines the following aims of the programme:

-help you improve your understanding of various topics (presumably at an A level standard).

I’m debating as to whether I should apply or not, since I’ve already completed my A levels, but at the same time it may help keep my knowledge of chemistry alive and establishing a peer-support network before starting may be a good idea.

I haven't heard of that programme before, do they have a website? If it is real it does seem interesting and helpful. Does it cost or is it free of charge?
Original post by Coby1119
I haven't heard of that programme before, do they have a website? If it is real it does seem interesting and helpful. Does it cost or is it free of charge?

Appears to be free, but by invite only. I did look it up and found no results, presumably indicating that it’s an invite only thing.
Appears to be free, but by invite only. I did look it up and found no results, presumably indicating that it’s an invite only thing.

Hmm I'll say give it a try if you got the time. It might turn out to be good and even if it is not useful, it won't cost anything. You might want to ask them for more info first though.

As an update to this post, apparently invites have opened up to more offer holders according to a second email I received about the programme.

I have declined the invite, which turned out to be sent in error (as I’ve already completed my A level in chemistry).
I know if may be a bit early to consider, but I found this and thought it may be useful to share:

https://www.balliol.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate-admissions/chemistry-reading-list

Furthermore, I found some statistics that show how competitive entry for chemistry at oxford was this time around. I think this year was the most competitive on record so far, so congratulations to all of you for getting in:

https://www.stcatz.ox.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/Chemistry-Summary-of-Admissions-Process-for-Chemistry-2022-23.pdf
I know if may be a bit early to consider, but I found this and thought it may be useful to share:

https://www.balliol.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate-admissions/chemistry-reading-list

Furthermore, I found some statistics that show how competitive entry for chemistry at oxford was this time around. I think this year was the most competitive on record so far, so congratulations to all of you for getting in:

https://www.stcatz.ox.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/Chemistry-Summary-of-Admissions-Process-for-Chemistry-2022-23.pds

this is so interesting thank you! i wonder why it was so competitive this year
Original post by nataly333
this is so interesting thank you! i wonder why it was so competitive this year

2022’s A level exams were graded rather generously, so it’s possible there was an influx of reapplicants or people who did better than expected who decided to give Oxford a shot from that cohort.

I’d also imagine that the recent attempts by Oxford to be more inclusive to state school students has attracted more applications than usual.
Reply 16
Lmao this thread is kind of dead.

Anyhow, congratulations to the lot of you for surviving your A levels, since the last exams will have finished today.

All the best for results day.
Reply 17
Lmao this thread is kind of dead.

Anyhow, congratulations to the lot of you for surviving your A levels, since the last exams will have finished today.

All the best for results day.

Do you think a Roentgenium award in the C3L6 will greatly increase my chances of getting into Oxford for chem?

Cheers
Reply 18
Original post by Toffeeton
Do you think a Roentgenium award in the C3L6 will greatly increase my chances of getting into Oxford for chem?

Cheers

Yes - if you know how to effectively write about how participating in C3L6 (and the training camp, if you got through to it) has benefited you academically in your PS.
Reply 19
Thank you
Yes - if you know how to effectively write about how participating in C3L6 (and the training camp, if you got through to it) has benefited you academically in your PS.

Thank you. I've got the camp in August and really want to get into Oxford.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending