The Student Room Group

biodiversity past exam question

Why is random sampling and not systematic sampling used here?Screenshot_20200806-102540__01.jpg
Reply 1
Original post by frenchfries_
Why is random sampling and not systematic sampling used here?Screenshot_20200806-102540__01.jpg

You would need to go into studying details about cthe 2 techniques. eg.
Systematic sampling is simpler and more straightforward than random sampling. ... On the other hand, systematic sampling introduces certain arbitrary parameters in the data. This can cause over- or under-representation of particular patterns. Systematic sampling is popular with researchers because of its simplicity.
Original post by mgi
You would need to go into studying details about cthe 2 techniques. eg.
Systematic sampling is simpler and more straightforward than random sampling. ... On the other hand, systematic sampling introduces certain arbitrary parameters in the data. This can cause over- or under-representation of particular patterns. Systematic sampling is popular with researchers because of its simplicity.

Ok. And I have read the text on sampling in my bio textbook, it says random sampling is used when the area under investigation is reasonably uniform or if the species are distributed in no clear pattern. And systematic sampling is used when physical conditions in the area you are investigating change-e.g you want to invesitage the change at the edge of the field where it becomes marshy.

So why exactly is random sampling used over systematic sampling in this particular example? I am having trouble deducing from the given info on 'sampling' in my textbook.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by frenchfries_
Ok. And I have read the text on sampling in my bio textbook, it says random sampling is used when the area under investigation is reasonably uniform or if the species are distributed in no clear pattern. And systematic sampling is used when physical conditions in the area you are investigating change-e.g you want to invesitage the change at the edge of the field where it becomes marshy.

So why exactly is random sampling used over systematic sampling in this particular example? I am having trouble deducing from the given info on 'sampling' in my textbook.

Why do researchers utilize random selection? The purpose is to increase the generalizability of the results. By drawing a random sample from a larger population, the goal is that the sample will be representative of the larger group and less likely to be subject to bias.
So in your example you have two large populations to sample. You would need a representative answer that is not likely to be biased so its best to use random sampling.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending