The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-Level Geography Paper 3 | [12th June 2023] Exam Chat

Poll

How did your Edexcel A-level Geography Paper 3 exam go?

Edexcel A-Level Geography Paper 3 (Synoptic) | 12th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: 12th June 2023 PM
Length: 2h15m

Link to Study Group:
A-Level Geography Study Group 2022-2023
Congratulations on finishing your exam
(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Based on Paper 1 I'm predicting something to do with energy players/pathways, energy mixes and disputes over energy as I felt it wasn't really mentioned? Could be way off though.
Original post by Beeverly
Based on Paper 1 I'm predicting something to do with energy players/pathways, energy mixes and disputes over energy as I felt it wasn't really mentioned? Could be way off though.

I definitely agree - because it's 2023 and the Russia-Ukraine war last year affected energy pathways - it could come up in the resource booklet. I think it might be a mix of geopolitical conflicts and energy. Could be way off as we haven't done the second paper yet.
Reply 3
Original post by JA03
I definitely agree - because it's 2023 and the Russia-Ukraine war last year affected energy pathways - it could come up in the resource booklet. I think it might be a mix of geopolitical conflicts and energy. Could be way off as we haven't done the second paper yet.

Yesss I really hope it is that, would make sense and I guess we will know for sure once Paper 2 is out of the way! :biggrin:
Reply 4
my teachers are predicting Africa as it hasn't been done yet but focusing upon conflicts and agreements
conflicts: -water -tied aid with china -Nigeria with HHRI -Madagascar rainforest -Tectonic activity between governments when it comes to planning
agreements: -Nile -Paris summit agreement (how all countries have agreed to this yet haven't achieved this yet)
etc I can't remember everything but these were the main ones that they are predicting to be involved with Africa.
Original post by Sandi001
my teachers are predicting Africa as it hasn't been done yet but focusing upon conflicts and agreements
conflicts: -water -tied aid with china -Nigeria with HHRI -Madagascar rainforest -Tectonic activity between governments when it comes to planning
agreements: -Nile -Paris summit agreement (how all countries have agreed to this yet haven't achieved this yet)
etc I can't remember everything but these were the main ones that they are predicting to be involved with Africa.

Adding to that, could have conflict of the Niger Delta. I would love it if the Deepwater Horizon oil spill was on there.

i will forever hold it against them that they didn't mention it
Reply 7
Does anyone know what we're actually supposed to revise for paper 3? I've only had like 2 lessons on it :/
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by 16blants
Does anyone know what we're actually supposed to revise for paper 3? I've only had like 2 lessons on it :/

I do AQA but i am guessing the same applies, it is the fieldwork paper with the pre-released content, theres is nothing you can revise for apart from the fielwork. Analyse what techniques you used etc for collecting the data, remebre the inquiry. For the pre-released ensure you understand the sources, treat it like english language and inferring from the sources. Hope this helps
Reply 9
My teachers said superpowers/globalisation are the most important topics to go over for paper 3 as it tends to be linked. I would look at some past papers and also the examiners report as it has some model answers which are very useful.
Original post by JA03
Adding to that, could have conflict of the Niger Delta. I would love it if the Deepwater Horizon oil spill was on there.

Or maybe the conflict to do with Egypt and Ethiopia over the dam that they are building. 🤷*♂️
Original post by samuelwildblood
Or maybe the conflict to do with Egypt and Ethiopia over the dam that they are building. 🤷*♂️

Maybe. Who knows. Maybe the Euphrates could pop up. It’s drying up as we speak.
this is prolly a v silly question but do I still need to be revising p1 content for p3? or can I throw away my p1 content?
Reply 13
Original post by Nat16.
I do AQA but i am guessing the same applies, it is the fieldwork paper with the pre-released content, theres is nothing you can revise for apart from the fielwork. Analyse what techniques you used etc for collecting the data, remebre the inquiry. For the pre-released ensure you understand the sources, treat it like english language and inferring from the sources. Hope this helps

For Edexcel paper 3 is about synoptic themes in a given resource booklet which can include any of the core topics
Original post by hearts4uallxo
this is prolly a v silly question but do I still need to be revising p1 content for p3? or can I throw away my p1 content?

I would keep it if I were you, it could defo be helpful and P1 stuff will 100% come up
Reply 15
Original post by hearts4uallxo

I wouldn’t say you would have to revise paper 1 content as it’s usually about an issue in the world, but it is useful to know how the content links together. I would just wait until you finish all the exams to throw any content away
Original post by 16blants

It is basically an extract which includes aspects of both physical and human geography
Reply 17
Original post by JA03

Both of these defo possible, our teacher has predicted South America, you have the amazon (carbon and water cycle)- with the deforestation in Brazil and then also changing energy mixes via biofuels. Since carbon cycle has not come up yet and this is defo a great way to implement it.
Reply 18
Original post by T2T2!
Both of these defo possible, our teacher has predicted South America, you have the amazon (carbon and water cycle)- with the deforestation in Brazil and then also changing energy mixes via biofuels. Since carbon cycle has not come up yet and this is defo a great way to implement it.

Carbon cycle was literally the 20 marker
Reply 19
Original post by Farhattt
Carbon cycle was literally the 20 marker

I meant there has not been a paper 3 on the carbon cycle yet, there was a paper 3 heavily involving the water cycle one of the years where the water cycle was a 20 marker

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending