The Student Room Group

A level maths

I am going to have the opportunity to switch to a level maths in a couple of weeks time. I am currently taking Computing, Media and Business and am wanting to study Computing after A level. I (believe) have only achieved a grade 5 in GSCE maths and I notice that most universities and courses require/desire A level Maths. I probably could get somewhat of a decent grade after 2 years if I study hard at maths. Do you think I should switch?
Yes. If you want to study computing I would recommend maths however you can always take a foundation year, that usually makes up for missing A Level maths but you will not be able to apply for the more competitive courses.
Original post by ClippTube
I am going to have the opportunity to switch to a level maths in a couple of weeks time. I am currently taking Computing, Media and Business and am wanting to study Computing after A level. I (believe) have only achieved a grade 5 in GSCE maths and I notice that most universities and courses require/desire A level Maths. I probably could get somewhat of a decent grade after 2 years if I study hard at maths. Do you think I should switch?

You should be aware that doing A-level Maths with a grade 5 at GCSE will be very challenging. How challenging it is will depend on the reason you were on track for a 5 at GCSE, and which parts of maths you find most difficult.

I would strongly recommend that if you plan to do A-level Maths, you take some time before the course starts to go over the algebra content especially and brush up as much as you can. The pace can be very challenging for students who aren't confident with the GCSE content. This isn't to say it's impossible to succeed with a lower GCSE grade, just that it will require more work.
you might find a level maths more difficult if you only get a 5 at gcse- i've yet to hear of a school who asks for a minimum of 5 for a level maths. depends on how confident you are with your capabilities, if the school does allow you to switch. if you can't do a level maths, you can always apply for a foundation course anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest