The Student Room Group

where's the north/midlands cut-off and the midlands/south cut-off?

...cos apparently lincoln is midlands and sheffield is north, yet sheffield is only like a quarter of a cm above lincoln.

And cambridge is south and warwick is midlands, but warwick is like a milimeter and a half above cambridge.

Oh wait, I suppose that answers my own question.
staffs, shrops, w mids, herfrod/worcs, warwickshire, notts, derby, leicestershire, lincolnshire, and sometimes northamptonshire is the midlands.

basically i think it;s oin what tv you watch, if it;s midlands today, or east midlands today, then you're in the midlands :smile:
The Midlands is made up, and anything above the M25 is t'Norf.
Reply 3
The north is where poor people live :smile:
The first "northern" town is supposedly Crewe.
Reply 6
Basically anyone north of Watford is a farmer.
I have also wondered this - when your on the motorway and you come towards Gloucester, they class it as in 'The Midlands'! :s-smilie: . . .

Would be interesting to actually know what's what and etc. . .
Reply 8
It's not about geography, being northern/southern/whatever is a state of mind
The midlands don't exist.
Well... I'm too hard to be from the south, and too soft to be from the north. So where do I come from?

Greater Wales?
Reply 11
2 'ard 2 b frm D saaf? Hackney, blud?
Reply 12
North starts at Sheffield.
Midlands encompasses Warwick etc..
Cambs is deffo south.
On a related note, does anyone know when they stop/start using those 'THE NORTH' and 'THE SOUTH' signs on long-distance motorways - might give us the Highways Agency's view at least.

I live in Cheshire, and that's the most southern part of the north, if you understand. I could probably give you a good desription of the north/midlands border, but not of the south/midlands border because, well, it's all just darn sarf innit. Everything's relative.
As somebody born and bred in Cambridge, it definitely is not the South. It’s East Anglia, but certainly more the Midlands than the South. We’re on the same latitude as Worcester, Redditch, Stratford, Daventry, and Northampton.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending