The Student Room Group

Zodiac Movie - Basement scene

I have just finished the Zodiac movie and my stomach is in a knot.

I don't understand the scene in the basement. He's investigating Rick Marshall based on a lead from that guy with information. It transpires that that guy who owns the basement had the closest match to the Zodiac letters in the posters.

Could the Zodiac have been both of them?

I am not sure I understand what was going on. It was very intense scene.
Great to see someone else who's seen this film (such an underappreciated master piece!).

Technically, we still don't know who the Zodiac killer is, and David Fincher did a great job at portraying this confusion and uncertainty by using the basement scene. This of course is a personal thought, but I think the whole purpose of the basement scene is to provoke the thoughts that you're currently thinking about, (so it's doing it's job really well from what Iv'e gathered)

So if you feel confused by the movie... Great!
Reply 2
Original post by StrangeWaves
Great to see someone else who's seen this film (such an underappreciated master piece!).

Technically, we still don't know who the Zodiac killer is, and David Fincher did a great job at portraying this confusion and uncertainty by using the basement scene. This of course is a personal thought, but I think the whole purpose of the basement scene is to provoke the thoughts that you're currently thinking about, (so it's doing it's job really well from what Iv'e gathered)

So if you feel confused by the movie... Great!

Hmm. It was a creepy basement in the dead of night.

But what about the fact that that guy's poster was the closest match to the Zodiac's handwriting?
I guess it's ultimately up to the viewer to decide whether Vaughn (Basement guy) is the Zodiac killer and the scene was only there to present sinister uncertainty in the case. Tbh, I think that the whole handwriting thing in the movie is so confusing (As it would have been). I mean with all of the suspects there's at least one super incriminating piece of evidence against them. Yet all the evidence contradicts itself or proves to be "untrue", like the evidence against Arthur & Rick, so I think that handwriting thing was just one of those incredibly incriminating pieces of evidence against the suspects.

If you're wondering who the movie is genuinely trying to portray as the Zodiac Killer, it would be good to note that Fincher told John Carroll Lynch (Arthur Leigh) before the interrogation scene that "You are the Zodiac".
Reply 4
Original post by StrangeWaves
I guess it's ultimately up to the viewer to decide whether Vaughn (Basement guy) is the Zodiac killer and the scene was only there to present sinister uncertainty in the case. Tbh, I think that the whole handwriting thing in the movie is so confusing (As it would have been). I mean with all of the suspects there's at least one super incriminating piece of evidence against them. Yet all the evidence contradicts itself or proves to be "untrue", like the evidence against Arthur & Rick, so I think that handwriting thing was just one of those incredibly incriminating pieces of evidence against the suspects.

If you're wondering who the movie is genuinely trying to portray as the Zodiac Killer, it would be good to note that Fincher told John Carroll Lynch (Arthur Leigh) before the interrogation scene that "You are the Zodiac".

Haha. Thanks for that. What about the stare at the end of the movie? That was intense. I think I could see Arthur's soul!!
Oh man yeah that was brilliant, I think that's to do with what Robert said earlier in the movie, I don't remember the exact quote but when arguing with his wife he says that he needs to do it and he needs to be able to look at the killer's face and stare into his eyes and know he did it.
It was something like that & I think that's why that scene with him staring at Arthur occurred, however I have no idea if he really thinks it was him, because he had a sort of look of uncertainty, however i'm pretty sure the next shot was that of his book being sold so he likely got what he wanted and believes that Arthur is the Zodiac Killer
Reply 6
Thanks again. I am still thinking about this Zodiac and have been reading about it online. I think what makes this so fascinating is that he wrote those cocky letters to the newspapers! Makes you want to know more about him; doesn't it?

It seems kind of strange how the handwriting expert can be so certain; and how his view is enough to stop the police continue. If it was DNA, fair enough. But handwriting, come on. That's such a BS field! Mulling it over - I think it is Leigh. Remember a woman was saying how he misspelt "Christmass" and how he lived a couple of feet from the 1st victim.

Anyway, need to watch something else now. I may have caught to obsession bug :smile:. Any ideas?
If you haven't already, MindHunter is a great series made by the same guy and it has incredibly similar vibes to Zodiac, but 110% you need to watch a film called Se7en which is one of the best films. Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is just something else (Really really good) and Gone Girl made me somehow appreciate Ben Affleck.

These are all David Fincher movies so if you liked Zodiac I think you'll like these. Enjoy! :smile:
Reply 8
Thank you for those recommendations. I will check them out.

I watched Mind Hunter but I didn't know it was the same director. That series is incredible. I can't believe it was only in the 70s that people started looking into the concept of a serial killer. Crazy!! I wonder how many serial killers there were in history that were never caught and were much worse than Bundy. I think there will be a third season soon. They have been building up that back story of that weirdo whose wife caught him doing something in the bathroom in a mask (what was that btw? Did he tie himself up and, erm, pleasure himself?).
Yeah it's insane to me that it was only discovered in the 70's. I think you'll really like the directors other works because I feel that he focuses on the characters and their struggles just as much as the killers; an example is this is Wendy's struggle with her homosexuality and the perceived notion at the time that homosexuality was a sexual deviance! I really loved seeing that character having to battle that perception. This is also true for Bill Tench who battles some more personal issues and seeing psychotic patterns in his personal life(I shan't spoil anything in case someone's reading who hasn't watched it)

Also, oh man yeah that guy's something else, he's called the BTK killer meaning "Bind,Torture, Kill". And yeah, he finds sexual gratification in tying up his victims, torturing them and killing them, I'm unsure if he pleasures himself physically whilst doing so though. But he does collect "Trophies" from each scene and then pleasure himself to a shrine of them.

He's a really weird guy and Mindhunter is a great series, but if you look at the guy in real life, you'll be surprised by how he was caught. And like me you'll probably wonder how they're going to do that for the series.

I will say definitely watch those films they're a MUST

PS. Always great to talk to another person about these movies :smile:
Reply 10
Ha. Do you remember that scene where Bill's partner is going through words that ought to be taken of some strange index of perversions and immorality @ the FBI. He said they should take "cunnilingus" off that list, and the secretary's eyebrows go up a bit. The 70s!! :biggrin: If that was shocking - can only imagine the concept of a serial killer. So, the BTK killer has actually killed? Hmm. Interesting. I will wait to see. I feel sorry for Bill Tench. He's such a nice upright supportive guy doing the right thing; and he just gets grief at home.

On serial killers, have you watched the Ted Bundy files on Netflix? Despite the fact there is no doubt he committed all those horrific crimes, some part of me feels sorry for him & even likes him. He seems sort of charming and sweet. I felt a bit sad when they gave him the electric chair at the end.

Quick Reply

Latest