The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The Big Medicine UKCAT 2013 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adsyrah
It is, but it's still practice.

Look at the test I pointed you to on the Pearson site. Pearson are the company that set UKCAT and the practice tests on their site is a download of the ACTUAL computer software you'll use on testing day.

Not at all - it's a tough test to take. I think I ran out of time in QA when I took the test last year.

Remember - UKCAT is as much about testing how you cope with little time under pressure as it is about getting questions right.

EDIT:

Worth saying... I think if you ask, the vast majority of people will point you in the direction of the 600 Qs book. It really is invaluable for UKCAT preparation.

I've got that already. What's your best advice? Just keep doing questions until it gets easier?

And my main issue with that book is the fact its a book. Prefer doing something online, and that website only has 2 practice exam papers. :/
Original post by MattKneale
I think it's interesting to note that you're not required to answer every question or to do amazing to get a good score. People get hung up when practicing that they're only getting, say, 45-50/60 on questions in practice when in reality that's very good!

Although you say you only need the book and the official UKCAT practice, I do think some sections can be improved by other methods. I found medify (and currently emedica) very useful for AR practice, not least because the book contains too few for enough practice.

Have you taken the test? :smile:

Would you say the questions are similar to medify?
Dont know if its just me , but the QR questions in 600 q book feel like 15 min exercises EACH :smile:
Original post by The Unique Bloke
Dont know if its just me , but the QR questions in 600 q book feel like 15 min exercises EACH :smile:

Yeah same here!
But don't worry too much, the QR section in the exam is slightly easier compared to the 600Q book. When i did the UKCAT last time i got like 400 something in the QR mock but ended up doing pretty well in the QR section in the real exam. At first, i thought i must have got lucky but turns out i wasn't the only one who found it easier compared to the QR practice questions in the book. But from my experience, i found verbal reasoning and decision analysis much harder in the real exam :frown:. As in VR the texts felt soo long and were about a very boring or complicated subject. And in DA the codes were quite a bit longer than in the 600Q book and also the statements were very similar so difficult to find the right one. Well that's just how i found it suppose....

But best of luck :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey, I have a question - people are talking about averages etc for each of the sections on practice tests - how do you work these out? for that matter, how are the UKCAT scores worked out for the actual thing anyway?
Reply 445
it depends how you revise - some people dont need much
I personally think practise is key for UKCAT so start now lightly and increase the intensity as you get closer to the time. I did 3ish weeks, last year (3-4 hours a day) and got a good score (730 average)

It seriously depends on your standard revision technique
Original post by candleflame
I think only UKCAT know exactly how they work out the individual marks for each section, theres some good info on it and some stats on previous years scores here

:smile: this website looks really useful. thanks for sharing!
Has anyone else attempted the QR questions on the ukcat official website? omg, I only managed to get through 16/36 of the questions in the time and I couldn't do hardly any of them, there was far too much information to digest and there were so many calculations involved! :s-smilie: Starting to panic now...
Original post by noregrets
Has anyone else attempted the QR questions on the ukcat official website? omg, I only managed to get through 16/36 of the questions in the time and I couldn't do hardly any of them, there was far too much information to digest and there were so many calculations involved! :s-smilie: Starting to panic now...

i havent and now i just dont want to :frown:
Original post by The Unique Bloke
i havent and now i just dont want to :frown:

Couldn't have put it better
Reply 450
Original post by HopefullyMedic
I dropped maths too! It's not that I don't understand how to work out most of the questions, it's just the timing!!!! When are you taking yours?

I've booked mine for the end of august, you? Hopefully I'll be better by then with timing!! I really hope the calculator isn't an onscreen one...I'm so slow at punching in the numbers...how are you finding the other sections? My favourite is definitely the decision analysis :smile: You're applying for medicine right? Me, it's dentistry or french (I'm so indecisive!!), so stuck on personal statement and uni choices, it's all so stressful!
Original post by StudentAnon
Have you taken the test? :smile:

Would you say the questions are similar to medify?

VR, AR and DA all seem pretty realistic and give good feedback. I haven't tried much of the QR through medify yet but judging by the other sections it's a good shout. I'd only pay for one month, though, so buy the subscription a month before your test.
Reply 452
hey what are these "new" VR questions this year ?
Reply 453
Hello everyone, Im relatively new so my apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section or in the wrong way.

I am going to do my UKCAT soon, but struggle on the VR and QR parts.

For VR, am I right to say you skim read and answer the questions, referring back to the text if you have to? Is that really the technique you are supposed to use all the way through? Please talk from experience, would be appreciated.

For QR, should I just flag + skip if im stuck, also considering the much easier questions can come later on.

Thank you all very much in advance :biggrin::cool:
None.
i was told about ace medicine and so bought that, as this was my third year appying for medicine and i wanted the best possible application.
i have to say it was extrememly useful, much more so than the 600 Q book. as it had oer 3000 UKCAT questions i just practised loads and bumped my average score up by about 90 (from the previous year). i found the questions to be pretty accurate to the actual tes, with the QR and DA being slightly harder (DA had multiple choice answers which were very similar so you had to have a better uderstanding of the code, whereas in the actual exam i found it really easy to pick the correct answer as most of the time it was the only one that actually fitted the code, and all the other choices were random). so even though they were a bit harder, it was more beneficial as it helped me to get a better understanding of the section.
i found the VR much better too, the answers made more sense and were more like what the exam was, where as i found the VR in the 600 Q book really hard, and also really hard to understand how they got the answer they did (VR was my hardest section).
AR was really good too because of the sheer amount of questions available, so much more practise and exposure to the different types of patterns there are.
overall...i would definitly recommend the course. although it was really expensive, i also got the interview course thingy and that was just amazing and i have no doubt that the whole course helped me get my place.
so yeah, like i said i improved my av score by about 90, and my biggest improvement was 170 in DA (from 690 to 860) - proof that it works!!!
(edited 11 years ago)
I sat the UKCAT last year and averaged 750, happy to answer any Q's at [email protected] :smile:
Got a score of 618 on the 600Q UKCAT book Mock, which is not too bad seeing as some of the questions are much harder than they were in the actual UKCAT exam.

Gonna go do it again 5-6 times until i can get a score of 800-900, then move onto the website practise tests :tongue:
Reply 458
Practice as much as you can in the lead up to the exam.
On the day of the exam, stay calm. If a question seems tricky, flag and move on - do not let it affect the other questions. For the number crunching questions, as soon as I saw a word problem I flagged it and moved on to shorter, snappier questions. I didn't have time to read them at the end so just guessed in the final 20 seconds.
Good luck!
Reply 459
Practice makes all the difference - I can't emphasise that enough. Buy the books, download the online tests and practice with friends if you have friends applying and get a really good night's sleep before. Don't take it too early but don't leave it til the last minute. Have a positive mindset. And don't forget if you screw up its not the end of the world it just helps you a little :smile: good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending