The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

OK, a week as a first year Bristol vet.

Monday, Tuesday and Friday are a mixture of lectures (1 hour usually) in Anatomy, Biochemistry and Physiology. Mostly your day begins at 9am and often goes on until 4 or 5pm. Lunch is from 1-2pm although you may have free periods before lunch or finish earlier. Not all days are packed.

Wednesday is a half day, and the morning is devoted to Anatomy. You will usually have a 1 hour lecture at 9am, followed by a 3 hour dissection session. This varies over the year and sometimes dissection is 4 hours. Eat a big breakfast on these days- dissection makes you feel very hungry, as the formalin, which the specimens are preserved in, is an appetite stimulant!

Thursday is Langford day. A morning of lectures on Animal Management, lunch in the canteen and then a 3 hour animal handling practical. Make the most of these sessions and have a go at what's offered, because you don't get much (if any) chance to practice the handling techniques again before you are examined on them at the end of the year.

You do have to put in some work outside lecture time. Anatomy, especially, is a huge subject and it's advisable to read it over to help it sink in (although this applies to all subjects really). There are also essays and practical write-ups to be done. However, this should not take up your entire life, there's still plenty of time to enjoy university.
:eek: 10 DAYS :eek:
hey ppl, i need sum help! i have one week off work and i want to do sum more w/e before hopefully trollin off to vet school. so far i have got:-
:smile: 7 months at a small animal clinic, about 2 years ago
:smile: saturdays at another small animal vet clinic last summer
:smile: 1 year at a stables last year
:smile: 2 days at an abbattoir 18 months ago
:smile: 1 week lambing last easter (2004) also did a bit of calving, but not much
:smile: 1 week at an animal sanctuary
:smile: 1 week at a pig farm

note, no dairy!

what would you all recomend i do with my week off? i really want to use this week to do sum w/e because i havent really done much for the past 10 months due to college work :frown:

im thinking either dairy or another vet clinic, because i feel like i have hardly any clinical knowledge.

also, how much have the rest of u guys done at a vets? i no this girl who knows pretty much every drug her vets use and what for etc, but i only know a few basic ones.

plz help, im startin to panic! :argh:
northern_lass
hey ppl, i need sum help! i have one week off work and i want to do sum more w/e before hopefully trollin off to vet school. so far i have got:-
:smile: 1 week lambing last easter (2004) also did a bit of calving, but not much

note, no dairy!

what would you all recomend i do with my week off? i really want to use this week to do sum w/e because i havent really done much for the past 10 months due to college work :frown:

im thinking either dairy or another vet clinic, because i feel like i have hardly any clinical knowledge.

also, how much have the rest of u guys done at a vets? i no this girl who knows pretty much every drug her vets use and what for etc, but i only know a few basic ones.

Don't worry about it. I haven't been to an abbattoir or done anything with pigs or horses. As far as the clinical side goes that's why we're going to spend 5 years there to learn everything properly. :smile:
Ridgeback
Don't worry about it. I haven't been to an abbattoir or done anything with pigs or horses. As far as the clinical side goes that's why we're going to spend 5 years there to learn everything properly. :smile:

:wavey: hello!!! havent spoken to you for ages! how was you holiday?
im thinking i might do a few days dairy after all. so tempting to stay in bed tho!
Ridgeback

Well said Ridgeback - (and glad to know that somebody else out there hasnt done any abbattoir work or horses!!) :smile:

-

Northern_lass, I dont know much clinical stuff either (and i havent done any more work experience since february.) In all I only spent about 13 months at one mixed vets practice, and most of that was only for 2 or 3 hours on the evening after school (tho i did do some in the holidays). So if we are expected to be baskets full of knowledge before we get there, then thats ME in trouble! :p: I remember more about my farming/other placements to be honest, im guessing it will take us quite a while to get all the drug names and uses fixed into our brains. Thats really good if u do know someone who knows a lot of clinical stuff already, but as Ridgeback says - we have 5 years to learn it all, so we can catch up! :biggrin: It will honestly be fine, so dont worry.

Its nice tho that u still have the energy to try get some more experience in :smile: If u can, maybe do some dairy work - thats my suggestion. By far one of my favourite experiences!
ProvenAngel
Well said Ridgeback - (and glad to know that somebody else out there hasnt done any abbattoir work or horses!!) :smile:

-

Northern_lass, I dont know much clinical stuff either (and i havent done any more work experience since february.) In all I only spent about 13 months at one mixed vets practice, and most of that was only for 2 or 3 hours on the evening after school (tho i did do some in the holidays). So if we are expected to be baskets full of knowledge before we get there, then thats ME in trouble! :p: I remember more about my farming/other placements to be honest, im guessing it will take us quite a while to get all the drug names and uses fixed into our brains. Thats really good if u do know someone who knows a lot of clinical stuff already, but as Ridgeback says - we have 5 years to learn it all, so we can catch up! :biggrin: It will honestly be fine, so dont worry.

Its nice tho that u still have the energy to try get some more experience in :smile: If u can, maybe do some dairy work - thats my suggestion. By far one of my favourite experiences!

thanks u guys! uv made me feel better! i think i will do dairy, coz i love the farm placements iv done! its good to know im not the only one who feels like this!
northern_lass
thanks u guys! uv made me feel better! i think i will do dairy, coz i love the farm placements iv done! its good to know im not the only one who feels like this!

No problemo. :smile: Have fun with the moo - moo's then! :p: ....and if ur in a milking parlour - keep a close eye on the cows and step away as quickly as possible if one of them starts to lift its tail!! :eek: hehe, they ent afraid to make a mess all over you! hehe :p:

*and to think i just said it was one of my favourite experiences!* :rolleyes:
northern_lass

note, no dairy!

I honestly wouldn't worry about it!! If it was me, I'd take the week off to relax!! When you get to uni, life is MAAAAAAAAD! So enjoy this free time that you have!!

You have to do dairy as part of your pre-clinical EMS so it's not like you won't do it in the next yr or so anyway!
now im tempted to have the week to stop in bed! think i might just do that.....

another question....does anyone know the number to ring the RVC if you dont get your grades?
northern_lass
now im tempted to have the week to stop in bed! think i might just do that.....

another question....does anyone know the number to ring the RVC if you dont get your grades?

yeah i'd like to know that too! also the number to call edinburgh on? i somehow think i might just need those numbers...argh
northern_lass
:wavey: hello!!! havent spoken to you for ages! how was you holiday?
im thinking i might do a few days dairy after all. so tempting to stay in bed tho!

I'll join you, staying in bed that is! :wink:
Holiday was brilliant, didn't see anything of Tenerife though... wasn't getting in until 6am :biggrin:
Ridgeback
I'll join you, staying in bed that is! :wink:
Holiday was brilliant, didn't see anything of Tenerife though... wasn't getting in until 6am :biggrin:

oh yeah :wink: sounds more tempting then 4am starts! :cool:
i remember it well, stumbling in from the veronicas at 6am to fall asleep on the sunloungers in my partying clothes, waking up at 12 to find the word vet wench written on my arm in suncreme, so i had a nice light patch for weeks!
:eek: 9 days!!!! :eek:
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE GETTING THEIR RESULTS TOMORO!!!!!!!!

fingers and toes crossed for all of you!
northern_lass
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE GETTING THEIR RESULTS TOMORO!!!!!!!!

fingers and toes crossed for all of you!

:eek: SECONDED! :eek:

Yea, BEST OF LUCK to you scottish bunch. Enjoy the celebrations im sure are coming your way! :biggrin: (while we sit here and continue this awful wait! :frown: )

Really do hope (and believe) u will all get ur grades :smile:

-

northern_lass.......9 DAYS!!!!! :eek: *falls down and dies* :eek: :p: I know how u feel! *hugs*
thanks :smile: eeeeeeeeek, only an hour to wait for the posty :s
Yay, off to vet school :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
:party:
Will be thinking of all you still to get your results! Its complete torture!!!!
Reply 1178
Hey Sheilzz well done. :biggrin: :wink:

Wooooo! I'mm off to manchester to do medicine. :biggrin: :party:
Well done bilal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending