The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Fluffy
8 offers were made.

How many offers in total were amde for that grad placements?
Reply 121
Actually - I'll expand on this a bit more than 1 word lines, as this conversation was had at the 'do' I went to last night. The majority of people who applied from Oxbridge simply did not have any work experience/sustained voluntary experience, hence they didn't make the minimum requirement for interview = rejection. So an Oxbridge degree, while impressive, can not be used to by-pass all the boxes that need to be checked to make it to interview.
Reply 122
How many offers in total were amde for that grad placements?

I don't know the *actual* figure, but I was told it was in the region of 80. Some people didn't make their offers (standard offers were 2i), others chose to go else where.
Reply 123
Pencil Queen
Another piece of gossip from the med school here: we will not be upping our standard offer from AAB...even if many other med schools do. The logic being that they've found that some students with masses and masses of A grades tend to be the doctors who train and then go into research whereas our med school has a strong aim to be producing practicing doctors for the future not academics...

Based on the PS...basically they're worried about attracting students who are *too* academic and are more interested in spotting the students with intelligence to cope with the course/job as well as the desire to work with patients.

ah. so my southampton rejection back in the day may not have been something as arbitrary as them taking a dislike to my name.. :rolleyes: :wink:

though, to be honest, i think if the med. ATs there are taking that stance then they should interview. being predicted 3As or more doesn't necessarily mean you have no desire to work with patients :tongue:
Elles
ah. so my southampton rejection back in the day may not have been something as arbitrary as them taking a dislike to my name.. :rolleyes: :wink:

though, to be honest, i think if the med. ATs there are taking that stance then they should interview. being predicted 3As or more doesn't necessarily mean you have no desire to work with patients :tongue:

A fair point - I think it's the thought of arranging and paying for at least 2000 interviews that puts them off... :smile:
Reply 125
Fluffy
Then why out of the 26 Oxbridge grads that applied to BL are there only 3 on the course (out of a total of nearly 50 grads on the course?)???

Maybe some of them didn't have London down as their first choice? In that case, they probably got their offer from somewhere else and therefore London had no reason to make an offer. Is this the same system all preclinical students go through or am I misunderstanding?
Reply 126
sbailey
Maybe some of them didn't have London down as their first choice? In that case, they probably got their offer from somewhere else and therefore London had no reason to make an offer. Is this the same system all preclinical students go through or am I misunderstanding?

The system for grads applying to read medicine is the same as for all undergraduate courses - i.e UCAS. You make your choices and take your chance! I did some stuff about appling to read medicine as a graduate for Oxford Careers Centre, and Claire Chesworth said that Oxford seemed to have the same ratio of graduates who didn't get any offers as any other University. As I said - work experience/heavily sustained voluntary experience is a must when applying as a grad.

An Oxbridge 1st, but only 1 week of shadowing is not going to get you as many marks as say a Birmingham 1st and 2 years of regular voluntary work in an old folks home, etc.
i think the thread may have moved on, but i would have appiled to

Aberdeen
Newcastle
Mancheser
Imperial

had i been of age!
barts
kings
ucl
cardiff

....i also hav an offer for Mmaths at warwick.......so shud i do medicine at barts...or maths at warwick??
true2myself
barts
kings
ucl
cardiff

....i also hav an offer for Mmaths at warwick.......so shud i do medicine at barts...or maths at warwick??

u got an offer from barts already?
Reply 130
Impossible to already have an offer for Barts that's not deferred from last year - Barts have changed things for this year so that you will not here re: an offer until January 2005. They are giving out rejections in the interim though.

HtH

F
Reply 131
hi
i applied to:
oxford (brasenose)
bristol
nottingham
ucl
Sorry but why on earth would u apply for medicine if you don't have the intention of doing it? It's just wasting everyone else's time. If you wanted to do Maths you shouldn't have applied for medicine. I hope you do realise that medicine is a lot longer than a maths course
Reply 133
Asphyxiating
Sorry but why on earth would u apply for medicine if you don't have the intention of doing it? It's just wasting everyone else's time. If you wanted to do Maths you shouldn't have applied for medicine. I hope you do realise that medicine is a lot longer than a maths course

Only by a year..
Reply 134
Asphyxiating

So you didn't apply for any 'back up' courses then?
Fluffy
So you didn't apply for any 'back up' courses then?

Yes I did but that is precisely what they are, 'back up' if I don't get any medical offers. This person is actually considering doing maths over medicine. My concern was that why apply for medicine if you aren't sure it's something you are going to be committed to? It's wasting everyone's time and an offer someone else could have received which is pretty important considering the quotas and competitiveness
hihihihi
Only by a year..

You can do a Maths degree in 3 years. Medicine is atleast 5 years if you're an undergraduate which I assume you are? Also do consider that after your 3 year Maths degree you can come out and start a job straight away without further training whereas medicine will be a few years of training before you can start practising by yourself so it's definitely not a year
:wink:
Reply 137
Asphyxiating
You can do a Maths degree in 3 years. Medicine is atleast 5 years if you're an undergraduate which I assume you are? Also do consider that after your 3 year Maths degree you can come out and start a job straight away without further training whereas medicine will be a few years of training before you can start practising by yourself so it's definitely not a year
:wink:

He said MMath - an undergraduate masters degree - i.e 4 years.
Fluffy
He said MMath - an undergraduate masters degree - i.e 4 years.

It's still a much shorter degree though innit :wink:
Reply 139
Asphyxiating
It's still a much shorter degree though innit :wink:

Not really - about 6 months!

Latest

Trending

Trending