The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Liverpool University, bus pass

I'm going into second year at uni and I don't know whether to get a bus pass or a bike. I'm helping moving in the freshers and I live in Smithdown so it makes sense but when that's over will I use the bus? Especially if we go into lockdown. A bike could get stolen so easily though and the thought of cycling on liverpool roads isn't fun. I dunno please help
Cycling from Smithdown is relatively easy - you can cut across and go up Lawrence Road if you are worried about cars as it is quieter, and around the university there are a lot of cycle lanes. Just make sure you get a good D-lock and that you lock your bike up around the frame and rear wheel as it is very hard to break into those.

Of course some (most) days it will be raining so maybe you would prefer to get the bus on those days. Most people I have encountered don't get a bus pass when living on Smithdown as the walk in is about 30 mins to uni, biking in is about 10, and the bus in the morning can be crowded and often late.

At the end of the day it's what is easiest for you personally, but that's what I found as student :smile:
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Hi there EllaG777,

I see Student Roost has given you a great answer here on this (thanks Student Roost!)

I thought I'd add my experiences since I have lived in Liverpool as a student for a while now, and for all of this time I have been cycling, in general I don't think Liverpool is any worse cycling than other Uk cities. Sadly, (like most UK cities) there isn't that many dedicated cycle lanes, but had been some new lanes implemented, including "pop-up lanes" since COVID and there are plans for an additional pop-up lane from Smithdown to the University (via Lawrence Road) which hopefully can be installed soon!

In terms of cycle parking there is loads around the University, included covered, locked cycle parking areas throughout the campus.

If you have any more questions about cycling in Liverpool then let me know below! :smile:

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Original post by EllaG777
I'm going into second year at uni and I don't know whether to get a bus pass or a bike. I'm helping moving in the freshers and I live in Smithdown so it makes sense but when that's over will I use the bus? Especially if we go into lockdown. A bike could get stolen so easily though and the thought of cycling on liverpool roads isn't fun. I dunno please help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending