The Student Room Group

French GCSE. YES OR NO

My father was Belgian so I kind of have a natural almost Belgian accent. I also understand written French and can translate most of it even though i didn't learn French for a long time. Though I cannot write it as I do not know much vocabulary. Should I take it as a gcse.

Ps. I am a year 11 student who already is doing English literature, English language, maths (higher), combined science (higher), music, engineering, Spanish, and Italian GCSEs. And I came to this country about 2 years ago without being able to speak British English.
Maybe check out some past papers or workbooks and see how you find it?
Reply 2
Original post by historynerd47
Maybe check out some past papers or workbooks and see how you find it?

I will do so
Reply 3
P.s. thx
Reply 4
Are you fluent in French and speak it at home? If youre already Comfortable speaking French then maybe take another language at gcse. This will increase your skills and show you can challenge yourself. If i already spoke a european language well i would learn a different one
If the past papers look doable/easy enough, I'd definitely take it.
Reply 6
Original post by Missvo59
Are you fluent in French and speak it at home? If youre already Comfortable speaking French then maybe take another language at gcse. This will increase your skills and show you can challenge yourself. If i already spoke a european language well i would learn a different one

I know how to speak italian fluently because I have a lot if Italian friends and Spanish for me it's easy because I already know how to speak English and Italian quite fluently. Also being able to speak in spanish, Italian and English and then learn dutch (cause well I am Belgian) and learn French for my GCSE gets me a bit worried I will mixed up the languages a bit.
Reply 7
Original post by Quick-use
If the past papers look doable/easy enough, I'd definitely take it.

The reading ones yes, the writing one I need to improve my vocabulary...

Quick Reply

Latest