The Student Room Group

drop french gcse

I am currently in year 11. I really want to drop my French GCSE because i got a 1 in mock. I told my head teacher about that but she insisted me to take it. I told her I don't want to waste my time studying as I have 11 GCSEs to revise for. What can I do now? Can I call the exam and ask tell them I am not doing it? What can I do? Please give me some advice. Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
just do what you can for French GCSE
focus on your other subject and do your best for French
Reply 2
But I am not planning to take the French GCSE because I don't want to have a grade of 1 on my report card. It could negatively impact my application to sixth form and university. Even if I achieve all 9s in other subjects and a 1 in French, it may create a negative impression.
Reply 3
Original post by Sumikko
But I am not planning to take the French GCSE because I don't want to have a grade of 1 on my report card. It could negatively impact my application to sixth form and university. Even if I achieve all 9s in other subjects and a 1 in French, it may create a negative impression.

it wont affect you at all they care about Maths and English onlyyy
Original post by Sumikko

brudda listen to me,

IF YOU HAVE THE GENERAL ENTRY REQUIREMENTS AND THE REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SUBJECTS U ARE WANTING TO STUDY, COLLEGE DONT GIVE A **** ABOUT YOUR OTHER SUBJECTS.

IN FACT COLLEGE DONT EVEN GIVE A **** ABOUT PERSONAL STATEMENTS OR ANYTHING ELSE BESIDES YOUR GRADES. IF YOU GET THE GRADES, UR IN.

TEACHERS WILL CONVINCE U THAT EVERYTHING COUNTS BUT THEY ARE SIMPLY LYING. YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST.
Reply 5
Original post by unknown_____098
brudda listen to me,

IF YOU HAVE THE GENERAL ENTRY REQUIREMENTS AND THE REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SUBJECTS U ARE WANTING TO STUDY, COLLEGE DONT GIVE A **** ABOUT YOUR OTHER SUBJECTS.

IN FACT COLLEGE DONT EVEN GIVE A **** ABOUT PERSONAL STATEMENTS OR ANYTHING ELSE BESIDES YOUR GRADES. IF YOU GET THE GRADES, UR IN.

TEACHERS WILL CONVINCE U THAT EVERYTHING COUNTS BUT THEY ARE SIMPLY LYING. YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST.

Original post by QueenOla
it wont affect you at all they care about Maths and English onlyyy

Thank you for providing all this information. However, I cannot accept the fact that I received a 1 in my GCSE result. I refuse to pursue a subject for which I was unprepared and would inevitably fail. Failing any of my GCSEs is not an option for me. (Respectfully,) I am here to inquire about the procedure for dropping the French subject, and I would appreciate guidance on that matter rather than opinions on whether I should continue with it. Thank you.
Original post by Sumikko
Thank you for providing all this information. However, I cannot accept the fact that I received a 1 in my GCSE result. I refuse to pursue a subject for which I was unprepared and would inevitably fail. Failing any of my GCSEs is not an option for me. (Respectfully,) I am here to inquire about the procedure for dropping the French subject, and I would appreciate guidance on that matter rather than opinions on whether I should continue with it. Thank you.

Listen to me right, im just gonna be honest with you and give you no bs

If you were to drop the french gcse what are you really gonna do to fill that gap up?

Listen to me right, you should never give up. At GCSE I was at a 3-2 in combined science and in the end I put in hard work and achieved an 8-7. Dont drop French GCSE. Put the work in and continue with it. They most likely wont let you drop it unless you get your parents involved with it, and even dropping it you will have to start a whole new gcse which you could probably find worse than French.

My advice? Grind, work hard and nail GCSE french.
Reply 7

If you were to drop the french gcse what are you really gonna do to fill that gap up?

Listen to me right, you should never give up. At GCSE I was at a 3-2 in combined science and in the end I put in hard work and achieved an 8-7. Dont drop French GCSE. Put the work in and continue with it. They most likely wont let you drop it unless you get your parents involved with it, and even dropping it you will have to start a whole new gcse which you could probably find worse than French.

I agree
Reply 8

But I am currently taking 11 GCSEs this year (excluding French) and completed 2 last year, making it a total of 13 GCSEs. Isn't that sufficient? Do I really need to add a new subject? What's frustrating is that my parents spoke with the head of year, but she simply ignored us and kept insisting, 'You will have to do it, I'm afraid.' Since she's being uncooperative with both me and my parents, I'm considering reaching out directly to the exam board and requesting an exemption. The problem is, I don't know how to go about it, and I'm unsure of the process. BTW thanks for sharing :smile:
Original post by QueenOla
I agree

my guy
Original post by Sumikko
But I am currently taking 11 GCSEs this year (excluding French) and completed 2 last year, making it a total of 13 GCSEs. Isn't that sufficient? Do I really need to add a new subject? What's frustrating is that my parents spoke with the head of year, but she simply ignored us and kept insisting, 'You will have to do it, I'm afraid.' Since she's being uncooperative with both me and my parents, I'm considering reaching out directly to the exam board and requesting an exemption. The problem is, I don't know how to go about it, and I'm unsure of the process. BTW thanks for sharing :smile:

Brudda, brudda, brudda.

Speaking to the exam board? No offence but are you stupid? The school has submitted you for the GCSE theres not much the exam board can do without the schools approval.

Furthermore, as I said before you havent thought this through at all. What are you going to be doing if you drop that GCSE? I am telling you simply right now, carry on with French GCSE. You just told us that you are going to have done 13 gcses by the end of it? So what is this? You dont want all the rest of ur gcses to be good and then one gcse be ****? You have to accept your grade in French and learn from it. Do you think Michael Jordan or Martin Luther King got to where they were because they gave up?

Dont give up because of 1 grade. If you get 12 9s and 1 grade 1 (if worst comes to worse) do you really think Universities and Colleges are going to be like 'OMG HE DIDNT GET A GOOD GRADE IN FRENCH WE CANT LET HIM IN'. No they will not, so move on with French and deal with it.

Whats going to happen when you get to A-levels and you mess up and A-level and get a U? Are you just going to ask to drop it because you did bad in it? You seriously need to think of the consequences of what you are going to do.

My advice? Just put your head down and revise. Revise hard and change that grade.

(allow me if i sounded too harsh, its what you need to hear right now)
Reply 11
Brudda, brudda, brudda.

Speaking to the exam board? No offence but are you stupid? The school has submitted you for the GCSE theres not much the exam board can do without the schools approval.

Furthermore, as I said before you havent thought this through at all. What are you going to be doing if you drop that GCSE? I am telling you simply right now, carry on with French GCSE. You just told us that you are going to have done 13 gcses by the end of it? So what is this? You dont want all the rest of ur gcses to be good and then one gcse be ****? You have to accept your grade in French and learn from it. Do you think Michael Jordan or Martin Luther King got to where they were because they gave up?

Dont give up because of 1 grade. If you get 12 9s and 1 grade 1 (if worst comes to worse) do you really think Universities and Colleges are going to be like 'OMG HE DIDNT GET A GOOD GRADE IN FRENCH WE CANT LET HIM IN'. No they will not, so move on with French and deal with it.

Whats going to happen when you get to A-levels and you mess up and A-level and get a U? Are you just going to ask to drop it because you did bad in it? You seriously need to think of the consequences of what you are going to do.

My advice? Just put your head down and revise. Revise hard and change that grade.

(allow me if i sounded too harsh, its what you need to hear right now)

Bro, why do you think it won't make a difference? Let's do the math. My current average is 8.4 with (13 * 9 + 1) / 14. If I slip up and get a lower grade, it's gonna bring my average down, no doubt about it. And even if I ace the rest with 8s, it'll be (9 * 2 + 8 * 11 + 1) / 14 = 7.6, which is definitely lower.And if I drop even lower, like (9 * 2 + 7 * 11 + 1) / 14 = 6.8, that's a big hit to my average. So, there's definitely an impact, no denying that.
Original post by Sumikko

Get your parents to withdraw you - the school cannot make you take the exam.
Original post by Sumikko
Bro, why do you think it won't make a difference? Let's do the math. My current average is 8.4 with (13 * 9 + 1) / 14. If I slip up and get a lower grade, it's gonna bring my average down, no doubt about it. And even if I ace the rest with 8s, it'll be (9 * 2 + 8 * 11 + 1) / 14 = 7.6, which is definitely lower.And if I drop even lower, like (9 * 2 + 7 * 11 + 1) / 14 = 6.8, that's a big hit to my average. So, there's definitely an impact, no denying that.

FAM NOBODY CARES ABOUT AVERAGES??????????????????

UR JUST TRYING TO LOOK FOR ACADEMIC VALIDITY BRO, NO EMPLOYER, NO COLLEGE/SIXTHFORM OR UNIVERSITY LOOKS AT UR GCSE POINTS AVERAGE

THE MOST THEY ARE USED FOR ARE FOR UR ESTIMATES WHEN U FIRST GO TO COLLEGE AND THEY DONT EVEN MATTER

Tbh, you prolly think im some madman now but give it 2 years and you'll be like 'oh shi that unknown guy was actually right'
Reply 14
I passed my french gcse in year 9 grade 9+ no pressure
Reply 15
Original post by fSDV
I passed my french gcse in year 9 grade 9+ no pressure

Yeh congrats ??
brudda listen to me,

Hi I'm Mr Reasonable and I don't believe you my friend are being reasonable.
Original post by MrReasonable
Hi I'm Mr Reasonable and I don't believe you my friend are being reasonable.

haha this comment was actually funny!
Original post by Sumikko
Yeh congrats ??

Hey, did you end up getting withdrawn or are you continuing with the subject? I was just wondering what process you went through if you withdrew.
Reply 19
Original post by crinkled
Hey, did you end up getting withdrawn or are you continuing with the subject? I was just wondering what process you went through if you withdrew.

nahh the teacher isn't withdrawing it, so I planned not to go to school on the French exam days. Cos I asked the exam board and they said if I don't attend the exam then in the report it will write absent or sth (better than grade U if I do it).

Quick Reply

Latest