The Student Room Group

Hydrogen bonding in the liquid state

Can anyone help me with this OCR AS Level multiple choice question, and explain their answer?

Which substance contains hydrogen bonding in the liquid state?
A. CH3(CH2)4CH3
B. CH3(CH2)3CHFCH3
C. CH3(CH2)3COCH3
D. CH3(CH2)3CH(OH)CH3

I really have no idea where to begin so any help would be much appreciated!
Original post by ConnieFox
Can anyone help me with this OCR AS Level multiple choice question, and explain their answer?

A. CH3(CH2)4CH3
B. CH3(CH2)3CHFCH3
C. CH3(CH2)3COCH3
D. CH3(CH2)3CH(OH)CH3

Hydrogen bonding is a bond directly between H and a NOF element due to the large difference in electronegativities (this isn't the definition btw).

Personally, the easiest way to do this is to draw out the molecules via displayed formula and see in which molecule does H DIRECTLY bond to a NOF element.

Hope this Helps! (If so, Like) :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by 234UncleBob
Hydrogen bonding is a bond directly between H and a NOF element due to the large difference in electronegativities (this isn't the definition btw).

Personally, the easiest way to do this is to draw out the molecules via displayed formula and see in which molecule does H DIRECTLY bond to a NOF element.

Hope this Helps! (If so, Like) :smile:

Thank you very much! So how does your answer link to it being in the liquid state? Would the hydrogen bonding be different in solids or gases?
Reply 3

A. CH3(CH2)4CH3
B. CH3(CH2)3CHFCH3
C. CH3(CH2)3COCH3
D. CH3(CH2)3CH(OH)CH3

D as it has a OH group, so when in a liquid state the H from one molecule will form a intermolecular force in this case a hydrogen bond with the O of another molecule via the free electron pair on the O.
Thank you very much! So how does your answer link to it being in the liquid state? Would the hydrogen bonding be different in solids or gases?

I know hydrogen bonds become longer in ice, so molecules are further away, so it has less density compared to water and therefore can float on water.

I'm not too sure for gases, but i don't think I've come across a question where the H bonding actually differs too much between states.

Sorry couldn't be more of use. :frown:

I'd check !AXEL! 's answer though...
Original post by !AXEL!
D as it has a OH group, so when in a liquid state the H from one molecule will form a intermolecular force in this case a hydrogen bond with the O of another molecule via the free electron pair on the O.
Reply 5
Original post by !AXEL!

ahh of course! Thank you so much for your help
Reply 6
Original post by 234UncleBob
I know hydrogen bonds become longer in ice, so molecules are further away, so it has less density compared to water and therefore can float on water.

I'm not too sure for gases, but i don't think I've come across a question where the H bonding actually differs too much between states.

Sorry couldn't be more of use. :frown:

I'd check !AXEL! 's answer though...

Ohh thank you so much! :smile: I was so confused because I didn't think I heard my teacher mention anything about hydrogen bonding being specific to a certain state etc.

Quick Reply

Latest