The Student Room Group

Biology question water

Hi, please could i have help on this question. I don’t understand why water cannot carry dissolved substance, isn’t it got to do with he fact that water is polar so can dissolve polar substances?
Here is the question: https://app.gemoo.com/share/image-annotation/630114344672542720?codeId=v67YVA0mj31nQ&origin=imageurlgenerator

Thanks!
Original post by anonymous294
Hi, please could i have help on this question. I don’t understand why water cannot carry dissolved substance, isn’t it got to do with he fact that water is polar so can dissolve polar substances?
Here is the question: https://app.gemoo.com/share/image-annotation/630114344672542720?codeId=v67YVA0mj31nQ&origin=imageurlgenerator
Thanks!

The question states ‘dependent upon hydrogen bonds between water molecules’.
The statement ‘water carry dissolve substance’ may be true, but has nothing to do with hydrogen bonds between water molecules.

So make sure you fully read the question, otherwise this will catch you out in the exam.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by BankaiGintoki
The question states ‘dependent upon hydrogen bonds between water molecules’.
The statement ‘water carry dissolve substance’ may be true, but has nothing to do with hydrogen bonds between water molecules.
So make sure you fully read the question, otherwise this will catch you out in the exam.

I thought the fact that hydrogen bonds can form between the substances can allow water to carry substances?
Original post by anonymous294
I thought the fact that hydrogen bonds can form between the substances can allow water to carry substances?

The statement says ‘hydrogen bonds between water molecules’
It would be different if it said ‘water forms hydrogen bonds’
But ‘between water molecules’ makes it incorrect.
Original post by BankaiGintoki
The statement says ‘hydrogen bonds between water molecules’
It would be different if it said ‘water forms hydrogen bonds’
But ‘between water molecules’ makes it incorrect.

Ohhh okay thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending