The Student Room Group

An Inspector Calls

hi, can someone please help me analyse this:
(she hands him the ring)-Sheila Birling
I have written that the ring was once a symbol of trust and love, and that giving it back shows how Gerald has broken her trust and she has grown distant from him. I have no idea what to write now :/
You could link it back to how at the beginning of the play she says "now I feel truly engaged" when Gerald gives her the ring, showing how she's a bit materialistic as she needed a fancy ring to show she was engaged, and now that she's giving it back to him so easily shows how she's matured and doesn't place as much value on objects? You could then possibly link that to how the attitudes of the older and younger generations during the Edwardian times contrast e.g. Sheila maturing and taking responsibility but her parents not doing so?
Reply 2
Original post by _kvymnnn
You could link it back to how at the beginning of the play she says "now I feel truly engaged" when Gerald gives her the ring, showing how she's a bit materialistic as she needed a fancy ring to show she was engaged, and now that she's giving it back to him so easily shows how she's matured and doesn't place as much value on objects? You could then possibly link that to how the attitudes of the older and younger generations during the Edwardian times contrast e.g. Sheila maturing and taking responsibility but her parents not doing so?

thank you so much!
This is how I would do it. Focus on how she reacts when Gerald hands her the ring. Make a list of quotes from that scene too. Show how she is purely materialistic as well for a higher mark. Good luck. Compare the different mindset and attitudes of the older characters in the play in addition for top marks. Also analyse how Sheila changes over the course of the play on top of that. Describe what impact this has on the reader. Read beyond the lines of the text in question to infer any meaning that may be hidden. Make notes.
Reply 4
Original post by tinygirl96
This is how I would do it. Focus on how she reacts when Gerald hands her the ring. Make a list of quotes from that scene too. Show how she is purely materialistic as well for a higher mark. Good luck. Compare the different mindset and attitudes of the older characters in the play in addition for top marks. Also analyse how Sheila changes over the course of the play on top of that. Describe what impact this has on the reader. Read beyond the lines of the text in question to infer any meaning that may be hidden. Make notes.

thank you :smile:
no issue

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending