The Student Room Group

any help for problem questions? how to get a first?

as the title states. I keep scraping 2.2s. I have zero clue how to even get above 50 for it at this rate. Please help.
Could you give a bit more detail? Are you doing a degree, GDL, LPC/BPTC etc? And what area(s) exactly are you struggling with?
Original post by legalhelp
Could you give a bit more detail? Are you doing a degree, GDL, LPC/BPTC etc? And what area(s) exactly are you struggling with?

LLB. I'm third year currently and I'm aware I should've got a swing of it by now but I haven't, unfortunately.
Original post by tryingtodolaw
LLB. I'm third year currently and I'm aware I should've got a swing of it by now but I haven't, unfortunately.

Ok. Why don’t you PM me an example of one you have already done (preferably crime or public law), plus your answer, and I will see if I can give you any general pointers.
Original post by tryingtodolaw

Have you tried using the IRAC method when answering problem questions? It takes a little while to get used to using it (practice in seminars) but it can really help improve the quality of your answers.

Here are a couple of examples so you can see how it's done (they are based on land law but it will give you the general idea). I've also set out my own explanation below.

:hello:YouTube video - problem question on co-ownership
:hello:YouTube video - problem question on schedule 3, para 2 (IRAC)

WHAT IS THE IRAC method of problem solving?
If you haven't come across IRAC before, it is a problem-solving technique that can be used in all topics you will study (e.g. criminal law, tort, trusts etc.) which you will find invaluable in assessments. It may seen difficult at first; but the more you practice using it; it easier it will become.

IRAC stands for Issue, Rule, Application and Conclusion. It's essentially the same as the IPAC (Issue, Principle, Application and Conclusion) and PLAN (Problem, Legal rule, Application and Note outcome) methods. There are lots of videos available explaining the technique and your own law school may provide its own guidance which you should take a look at.

Issue
Identify the question (issue) you need to answer. There may be several separate 'big' issues you need to address within the question (e.g. Has Tommy's neighbour got a right of way over Tommy's land and can Tommy 'evict' the tenant in his converted barn for not paying the rent?) and each issue will usually break down into a series of sub or 'mini' issues. Take care to frame the issue as precisely as you can as it will help you to identify the relevant law (Rule) more easily. Deal with each 'big' issue separately.

Rule
State the relevant law. This will usually be from a statute or case. Avoid long, generalised statements of law. Break it down into bite size pieces and deal with each piece separately.

Application
Explain how the law is applied to the facts of the question. This is the stage students frequently find the most difficult to do (and where the most marks are!). A good tip is to imagine that the person is sitting in front of you waiting for your advice. They want to know how the law actually affects THEM. You will need to identify the relevant facts and explain how the law you have explained relates to those facts. Refer to the names of the parties in the question. Sometimes it will be very easy; sometimes not! This stage is not something that you can copy from textbooks. It is a skill that you will become more proficient at the more you practice. Try to avoid; 'it's up to the court to decide'! It isn't. It's your responsibility to advise the client as to the likely or possible outcome.

Conclusion
Your conclusion should answer the issue. Sometimes you will be able to arrive at a definitive conclusion but sometimes the answer might be 'it depends'! If there is some doubt - say so and explain why.
Amanda Grant)
Hi,

I see that you posted the same question a couple of days ago. If you looked at the videos and didn't find that they helped I would be really grateful if you would take the time to provide constructive feedback in the 'comments' box on YouTube. Thanks :smile:

The only thing that I can suggest now is that you approach the marker of work you have previously submitted and ask them for specific examples of where you didn't follow the IRAC method. However, a word of warning, lecturers/ tutors are extremely busy at this time of year and you may have to wait for an appointment so choose a tutor you feel that you built up a good relationship with (I appreciate that this may have been difficult this academic year but perhaps you could ask a second year tutor).

I wish you the very best of luck with it.

Amanda
A bit late, as assume exans now over.

But the main tip I have is headings and subheadings. Make it clear as possible. I mostly dealt with each party separately and went through each of their causes separately. Occasionally it made more sense to do all parties together to avoid repeating yourself (defamation was one or vicarious liability)
I also looked at concentrate q&a books for examples of problem questions for each module and topic.

Often zero academic discussion is needed but occasionally you have to (ie law unclear and needs reform)
Original post by Catherine1973
A bit late, as assume exans now over.

But the main tip I have is headings and subheadings. Make it clear as possible. I mostly dealt with each party separately and went through each of their causes separately. Occasionally it made more sense to do all parties together to avoid repeating yourself (defamation was one or vicarious liability)
I also looked at concentrate q&a books for examples of problem questions for each module and topic.

Often zero academic discussion is needed but occasionally you have to (ie law unclear and needs reform)

Agree with Catherine1973 except that I would always group similar issues together rather than each party (unless the question specifically asks you to deal with each party separately) as it can help avoid repetition.
Normally the problem has each person having a different problem (to draw our the most knowledge from us) so that’s why parties is usually the better approach.

But once you do your planning you can tell if actually lots of people have the same issue so can group.

I often said to others if it seems that 2 people have the same issue, look again as it’s often not. Ie in company law, conflict of interest, one director took a deal meant for his company and did it himself. So conflict.
But another was told of a deal on a racehorse when on a company visit. That’s not a conflict (company had nothing to do with horse racing, it’s similar to just being told by a friend to invest in Bitcoin etc).
So 2 different results but lots of people just lumped them together as the same thing.
But always ask yourself why would the examiner chose to do that?
I think we are saying the same thing but I would structure so that different issues are dealt with separately (irrepective of who is involved particarly in a case where there could be joint or joint and several liability). With respect I think that in the example you give there are different issues so the party or parties invloved is irrelevant (Disclaimer - I'm not a company law expert ). But, hopefully, between us we have given the OP something to work with as they have asked for help on this twice. :shakehand:

Best of luck OP :smartass:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending